Attribute suddenly missing

hi,

I had an attribute to my block (the stamp at the bottom right side of the viewport). Now, for some reason, it is missing? I cannot double click on the block it. I dont see it under the properties tab either.

Anybody an idea how I dissabled it / or removed it?

Thanks

Comments

• I am not certain I understand  your problem.  In particular, I am puzzled why you cannot double-click a block.  If it is a block, but has no attributes, then double-clicking will give you the window to edit the attributes.  If there are no attributes, you get the block editor.  So, is it a block at all now?  List it and find out.

Is it possible you are referring to a time-stamp? 
    You mention, "the stamp on the bottom right side of the viewport".  The way you say it, it sounds like this is something that you think is standard.

Any chance you can attach the file (perhaps delete anything that is not related to the trouble).  Even a screen grab showing the issue may be of help.

-Joe
  •  dear Joe,

thank you for your answer. It is exactly what you are saying: "If it is a block, but has no attributes, then double-clicking will give you the window to edit the attributes.  If there are no attributes, you get the block editor. "

in normal situation, I get the window to edit the attributes. But now, this window is not popping up anymore, I get the block editor. 

How is it possible that it has been changed? What did I have possible done wrong?
  •  Is it possible that the block you are double-clicking on has no attributes?

-Joe
  •  Is it possible that the block you are double-clicking on has no attributes?

yes, I believe that is the problem. However, this block always had an attribute... suddenly it does not anymore. 

How did I remove it without knowing?
  • There is no question that you will experience random events that you don't recall doing over the course of your CAD career.  Earlier versions of AutoCAD would beep if there was an error, which probably stopped a few of these events. And you probably catch most of them when they happen. But, occasionally I will find something like an object far away from my main drawing.  In that case,  am certain they are from when I typed something like COPY [basepoint] 0,0 [destination] @55'<0, when I should have typed 5.5' [i.e. I omitted the decimal place]<div>
    In your case, you may have accidentally double-clicked on that block, and did some other editing, not realizing that you were changing that block. 

But, I decided to do a little testing to see what the likely issues may be, and had a newly created attribute that wouldn't appear in my block!  I have attached it here.  I am on v14 Platinum. The sequence was...
    1) I created the block without attributes.
    2) I edited the block, and added the attribute.
    3) I exited refedit, and saved the block.
    4) The block attribute disappeared.

If I double-click the block, the ref-edit dialog box appears... NOT the attribute input dialog box.
    If I ref-edit the block, the attribute is there. It is NOT set to be invisible.
    If I insert a new instance of the block, I get multiple prompts and the attribute does show up.  If I double-click this new instance, I do get the attribute value editor.

Attached is the drawing that has the test block I described above.

test attributes.dwg

• If I double-click the block, the ref-edit dialog box appears... NOT the attribute input dialog box.

dear Joe, so you are saying that the bottom block also has an attribute attached to it? If so, it is not working here either. See the attachment.

Next, how can I add an attribute fast to my block again?
    imageKnipsel.JPG
  • @Bas: You can use the _AttSync command.
  • @Bas: You can use the _AttSync command.

what to do after:

Enter an option: Select/Name/?/:
  • Check the (online) Help please.
    Note that the block definition has to still have attribute definitions for the command to have any effect.
  • One potential scenario to explain what has happened:
    You have accidentally nested the block in a different block. Verify the blockname in the Properties Bar to check if this is the case.

• This is a good example of why the BricsCAD help file is sometimes not a good place to go for help. The help file says it, "Synchronizes attribute definitions in all block references of a specified block definition."

To say that AttSync syncronizes attributes only says what the command abbreviates. It adds that it does something to all instances of a block, but it does not say what the command does.  

By experimentation, it seems to be a command to bring back attributes that disappeared for some unknown reason. 

-Joe
  • The _AttSync command does more than that. It will also restore the properties of attributes (color, position etc.) to their default values.
    The description in the Help should actually read 'Synchronizes attribute references ...'
  • Same problem here. V17.1.19
    Back from vacation & the title block attributes (most of them) are missing.
    Turns out to be a Font Style that is not found

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!