Layer States change not applied to Layout View

I finally got around to experimenting with "Layer States".    I created two layer states in one of my 2D drawings, so I could rapidly turn certain layers on and off.  I then added a custom toolbar for layer states selection, per the video tutorial Bricsys provides.  The layer states switch works fine as long as I am in Model Space.  It does not work while I am in a Layout View.  How do I make layer states which work simultaneously in both model space and the layout view?

Comments

• I just tried it myself and you are right. Strangely Support told me a few days back that it should work without problems. I didnt get around testing it up to this point.

Maybe someone can shed some light, i will keep trying it also.
  • Layerstates do work in paper space, but there is a catch. When in paper space layerstate settings, if possible, are restored as viewport overrides. This can be confusing, but this behavior is AutoCAD compatible.
    This means, for example, that a state's 'MS' Off or 'MS' Frozen both result in VPFrozen when restored in paper space.

To avoid this behavior you can use the vl-layerstates-restore Lisp function (which is not yet? compatible):
    [code](vl-layerstates-restore "myLayerState")[/code]
  • I am pretty sure thats not what op meant.

I just tried and apparently you CANT restore layerstates done in modelspace to a layout(paperspace) or viewport. Only when you created a layerstate in a layout (or with active viewport) and in the layer state settings it shows "layout" instead of "model" it is apparently possible to restore it.

That is unfortunate and i dont really understand why they make this distinction? it would be nice to use them in both, model space and paper space, no matter where you created them...

cheers
  • @Benjamin:
    This must then be a restriction that was introduced in V17. In V16 things work as I have described in my previous post.
  • You are right. I just opened a new file and suddenly it works without problems. I only have V16, no idea about V17.

@jim: Find attached dwg for testing.

Layerstate.dwg

• I am working with V17.

I confess to being a bit confused about all this. But from what I can see, if I create layer state while in model space, they only affect model space, or an ACTIVE viewport in paper space. They don't affect paper space.

Roy, I apologize for the dual post of this thread. It wasn't intentional. Remember the problem with the forum banner that some of us were having problems with? (The yellow banner directed us to update our profiles, and even after we did, it did not go away.) Anyway, that same banner impacted my ability to post. I would hit the post button, and five minutes later, still no indication that a post had occurred. So I hit the post button a second time. I didn't even realize I created a duplicate thread. And this was not the only incident of it either. Would be nice if I could delete the duplicate thread (at least before people have commented).

This discussion has been closed.