Layer States in BOTH model space AND Layout View?

I finally got around to experimenting with "Layer States".    I created two layer states in one of my 2D drawings, so I could rapidly turn certain layers on and off.  I then added a custom toolbar for layer states selection, per the video tutorial Bricsys provides.  The layer states switch works fine as long as I am in Model Space.  It does not work as well when I am in a Layout View.  Layers can be turned ON, but not OFF.    How do I make layer states which work simultaneously in both model space and the layout view?

Comments

• I'd never had the experience you described, so I experimented to try to duplicate it, and I learned some things I didn't know before about layerstates, even though I've been using them for many years. Their operation is more intricate than I thought, and there's one really significant advantage to that intricacy.

If I restore a layerstate while in a layout tab, it applies only to what's shown in the active viewport, or to paperspace in that layout tab if no viewport is active. It doesn't apply to other viewports, other layout tabs, or the model tab.

Also, the layers that are turned off in that layerstate definition become "frozen in viewport" for that viewport or for the paperspace of that layout tab if no viewport was active when it was restored. This is great news for me. It means I can automatically set visibility in a viewport to correspond to a layerstate definition. In the past, I've always done that manually, and revised it manually whenever I changed the layerstate definition.

Thank you for calling attention to this.
  • Thanks for responding.  Seems like you have ferreted out the way it works.   It's still a little confusing to me, but I will figure it out.
  • Jim, if what you want is to use layerstates to turn certain layers on or off in all tabs and all viewports, you have to restore that layerstate while in the model tab. Then you can switch to any layout tab and see the result of that layerstate restoration, both in paperspace and in viewports.

I've never wanted to do that; that's why I never encountered the behavior you described. I only use layerstates in the model tab. Before switching to a layout tab to print, I first turn on all layers. In layout tabs, I instead use custom viewport layer visibility -- i.e., I make certain layers frozen in each viewport. I think that's what most people do, and I think it's what the software expects.

If you restore a layerstate while in a layout tab, the software thinks that what you really want is to set custom viewport visibility to match that layerstate definition. That sounds odd, but actually it's a great idea; or would be a great idea if people knew about it. Now that I know about it, it will save me a lot of time.
  • Hello.

To understand, what layerstates do, you have to keep in mind, what the difference is between layersettings in model and layersettings in viewport.
    If I freeze layers in model they are frozen in the whole drawing with all viewports in layouts.
    Within a viewport I can also freeze layer just for this single layout.
    With choosing the right settings while creating a layerstate I can use these layerstates for both.
    If I use a layerstate in model it will turn of the specific layers for the whole drawing, I can not influence the layerbehavior in my viewport anymore. (I can, but the layer that are turned off in model, stay turned off)
    Using a layerstate in a viewport will not effect my modelspace or other viewports.
    See attached screenshots.
    If you want to control your layers in viewports it is always best, to keep all layers on in model.
    I use layersettings in model only temporarelly if necessary for my workflow, but normally they are all on. Settings are made in the viewports.

...not sure if this helps...

Sascha
    imageLayerstate settings.jpg
    imageLayerstate 1-100 in a viewport.jpg
    imageLayersettings in viewport.jpg
    imageLayerstate 1-100 in Model.jpg
    imageLayersettings in model.jpg
  • @Anthony Apostolaros said:

Before switching to a layout tab to print, I first turn on all layers. In layout tabs, I instead use custom viewport layer visibility -- i.e., I make certain layers frozen in each viewport.

Add Thaw to that "turn on all layers" statement.

-Joe

• Thank you all for your suggestions! Every day I learn that I know less than I knew the day before.

This discussion has been closed.