Copying objects with tangent constraints

Joe Dunfee
edited February 2017 in 2D Drafting

I am creating a drawing where I want to create several configurations of an object that makes use of 2D constraints.

When I create a copy of the constrained object, it explodes into a crazy drawing. I also tried copying it to the clipboard and then pasting that way. But, it had the exact same result. I am guessing that the tangents are the issue, since things can be tangent in two directions.

I am on ver 14. so I don't know how it behaves in later versions. But, any suggestions on how to work around this in my ver 14?

[Yay, we can also edit a message. (see the gear icon on the upper right part of the message) So, I can attach the example dwg I forgot the 1st time I posted.

-Joe

Comments

• Just tried to use wblock to write the objects to an external file. When I open that file, it looks perfect! But, when I insert the block into my original drawing, it is partially messed-up. When I explode the block it looks just like the example I uploaded earlier.

-Joe

• There seems to be no attachment.

• I just attempted to upload the file, and see that there is an error message saying that "uploaded file type is not allowed". Dwg's are not allowed? I have attached a Jpg of that error message, as well as a screen grab from the file I was attempting to upload.

Well there is a learning curve to any new board. I see now that a successful upload shows a small thumbnail at the bottom of the screen. There is a menu that pops up if you hover over it, but the first time i tried to delete my duplicates, I could not scroll down far enough to see it on the menu. But, later on, for some reason I could. I can't figure out how to make it show the full menu when I want to delete a file, so I will just leave the duplicate.

So, I have added 3 copies of one image, deleted the third one successfully, but could not delete the 2nd one. Now I cannot add any attachments at all, and there is no error message.

-Joe

• I see that I apparently was successful in adding that last upload attempt. But, it didn't show on the screen, though it did show the first two file. I will attempt to upload all the screen shots for the tangent issue on this message. This also includes a PDF exported from BricsCAD.

I see now that the uploads are indeed shown as thumbnails. But, there is no border, nor a file name. I didn't notice it before, because they were so faint. The pdf does not show a preview, but rather only the letters "pdf". If I hover over the thumbnails a menu appears, but not the file name.

-Joe

• We have enabled .dwg upload, it was just not included in the default set of allowed filetypes.
    It'll have a similar look as the .pdf upload.

• Are there plans to add DWGs as allowed file types?

-Joe

• Tangent issues example drawing.

Now that you can upload DWGs, here is my example drawing. It is self explanatory.

-Joe

• Joe,
    I removed the horizontal constraint you had on the arcs indicated on the attached and it now copies without going awry.

Not sure if the other constraints still work but it does copy now.

I presume you were constraining the ends of the arc to keep them in line?

HTH,

David

• I recall adding that horizontal constraint to the two end points of that arc because it was mis-behaving when I didn't have it and did some other edits. Do you think this was somehow over-constrained? Or perhaps improper in some other way?

By the way, the reason I stayed with an arc instead of a line at that portion of my polyline, is that this polyline represents a flexible membrane.

-Joe

This discussion has been closed.