Using Field from Sheet Set Manager

Haven't been able to figure out this one yet.

I want to insert a field from the sheet set manager into a piece of text that appears on several pages. For example, "SEE SHEET 20 FOR CROSSING TABLE", where 20 is the page number from the sheet set manager. Inevitably, there will be a sheets added, so when the sheet gets renumbered in the Sheet Set Manager, that field will automatically update.

Comments

• Search for help on FIELDS

• I have no problem entering the field. For instance, I can get the area of a polyline to show, etc. However, all the options under Field -> Sheet Set are for CurrentSheet (as in CurrentSheetNumber, which I use for my sheet numbers). I want to enter a different sheet number so that my match lines always reference the correct sheet, any notes directing to details reference the correct sheet.

• rkmcswain
    edited April 2017

Apologies, I just checked in the software and the two ways that I know about in AutoCAD, are apparently N/A in BricsCAD.
    I don't see a way to nest a field inside of a field (i.e.: CurrentSheetNumber +1 or -1)
    I don't see a way to pick any other sheet set and then pick a sheet inside of that sheet set.

• In the attached document you can find the instructions on how to include sheet and sheetset properties in title blocks.

• @gopher669 said:
    I want to enter a different sheet number so that my match lines always reference the correct sheet, any notes directing to details reference the correct sheet.

To create match line references I think that you would:
    1. Create a VIEW in the target drawing.
    2. In the source drawing you would select that view from the SHEETSET, then right click and select a callout block.

In doing this you would create a link to the target drawing, which will update if you change the drawing number value.

If you open one of the default Sheet*.dwt templates you'll find some sample blocks that you could modify for this purpose.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• What Jason said will work.

The other option is to create a Sheet Set Custom Property and name the page number in a custom field. For example, if you had a field called "Chart Page" and made the value "20". Then, you can insert the SheetSetCustom, use "Chart Page", and it will work.

The downside is, you will have to go in and edit the number manually if the pages shift - but it still beats having to go back through your sheets and try to find all references and change them on the sheet.

• Viking_Mike
    edited October 2017

What Jason said will work ...In AutoCAD. I've used it successfully in that program. But has anyone gotten it to work in BricsCAD? (Note that Jason's response was couched in a hypothetical)

Also, it should be mentioned that the field inside the callout block in Jason's method needs to be Sheetsetplaceholder->Sheetnumber

When I create views in sheets that are part of a sheet set in BricsCAD, they are not showing up in the sheet set manager, even after saving, refreshing, etc. I don't see a place to set "categories" of views.. in the sheets, even though it is mentioned in the SSM.

I think RK is right as usual. The particular feature(s) that the OP wants appear to be not fully implemented yet in BricsCAD v17. For what it's worth, if you made the reference/link in the block using AutoCAD it might keep working in BricsCAD.

Successfully using sheetsetplaceholder may be the most complicated trick that there is regarding the SSM.... pat yourselves on the back for making it this far.

Maybe BricsCAD can come up with a more direct way to do this.. why should sheetsetplaceholder work only inside of a block?

This discussion has been closed.