Customisation Difficulties

Hi. As I'm coming from a blender background, I'm having trouble with how bricsCAD goes about selecting entities. I would like to assign the command that the esc button on the keyboard to the right mouse button. I've tried assigning the cancel command, but that only brings me back to the start of the tool and the esc command only made me completely escape out of bricsCAD.

Also, I'm planning on using my multi-button mouse as well but it says that 'button 3 is not supported by bricsCAD'. Is this purely because I haven't plugged it in or do I need to run extra software to make each button appear as keyboard button combinations?

Cheers

Comments

• I map my mouse buttons with the software that comes with the mouse. What are normally forward and back buttons are reassigned to F8 and F3.

Button 3 would normally be the middle mouse button. There is a setting in Settings for whether the MMB is for PAN or follows the menu setting. You get to the setting by issuing the CUI command [which can take a while to open] then selecting the Mouse tab.

• thanks! ill defiantly look into doing that. I still don't get how to redefine the esc button though... I've been looking and it looks like there are two different exit commands and the one i want is being overwritten by the less preferable one. This is a problem when it comes to customising, but it obviously isn't effecting the esc key (so it hasn't gotten worse). I tried playing around with different commands to see if I could compromise with say, the deselect command but then it becomes a problem when I want to cancel my current command (cause it was the wrong one or I changed my mind on what I want to do). any ideas on what I should do?

• Are you wanting to make the right mouse button issue the same code as the ESC key on the keyboard? I don't recommend changing the default RMB setting, but if you need to I recommend looking into AutoHotKey. You can program AHK to change a key or a mouse button only when in Bricscad.

• due to the work i do, i don't have much need for the right mouse button set up. It is just way more effecent for me to have the esc instead of the current RMB settings. Thanks for your help!

• Gamer, I experimented a little to try to figure out what you're talking about, and was very surprised to discover that the "Cancel" command in my Edit context menu does not de-select all selected entities.

So I tried adding the "Select None" command to my Edit context menu. That command did cancel the selection set, but left me in the "Selgrips" command, and so I still had to press Escape or Enter to get out of that.

So then I created a new custom tool in my Edit context menu that does deselect all, just as the Escape key would do in that situation. In Customize > Menus tab > Context menus > Edit, I right-clicked on "Cancel" and selected "Insert item." Then I selected "Create new tool," and filled in the blanks as follows:
    Title: Deselect All
    Command: (sssetfirst nil nil)

By the way, if you want to get rid of the selection set only so that you can start over and create a different selection set, you might consider working with PICKADD off. Then selecting any entity without the Shift key will automatically deselect all others.

This discussion has been closed.