Can Bricsys ???

I'm a user of Autocad software primarily LT, but I am also learning Revit, Having watched just 4 intro videos for BricsCAD BIM, I have to say it looks a lot easier. I know I can download a trial (and probably will), but being a very active member of a couple of other CAD Forums, this is one of my questions, from users experience here, is help easy to find and do you feel that answers come quickly.
In Revit there are a few shortcomings, (for my line of work calculation/quantities), exact areas of wall finishes are imperative, in Revit this is a problem at wall corners, for which I have seen some very (interesting) fixes.
Revit can import DWG but not use any of the geometry other than as something to trace over, it looks as though BricsCAD can directly use a DWG and turn it into BIM (is that somewhere close to the truth, or did I misjudge that).
I understand that BricsCAD also uses Lisp, as an LT user I have no experience of Lisp, but use scripts and Macro's abundently, and do a lot of work within Excel. Does BricsCAD have other programming options and work well with Excel?
Are then any physical training options or are online video's the only option, and how helpfull if any are the help files / documentation.
I think I'll stop at that, but once I get started on the demo version, then I'll be back

Comments

• I look forward to the answers you get! Better be good.

• Hi Tom thanks for your interest, but support looks to be a bit thin on the ground here, having said that, I still hope for a few comments, at the last company I worked for they were pushing us into a new software package, and I just checked their forum, in all the categories there I only found 2 questions in the last month (and only one of those had a comment) and only a handful of questions for this year.

I've been doing a bit more reading today, and the programming side looks promising.

• @JustBrowsing said:

I understand that BricsCAD also uses Lisp, as an LT user I have no experience of Lisp, but use scripts and Macro's abundently, and do a lot of work within Excel. Does BricsCAD have other programming options and work well with Excel?
    Are then any physical training options or are online video's the only option, and how helpfull if any are the help files / documentation.
    I think I'll stop at that, but once I get started on the demo version, then I'll be back

The best place to start is probably over at https://bricsys.com/en_INTL/documentation/. Three good ebooks over there, at least two of which I really ought to sit down and go through again myself. Last time I did was mumble mumble versions ago and one does get into the habit of doing things a certain way even when the application continues to add capabilities.

Scripts and LISP are supported in all verisons. VBA and associated macros are available in the Windows Pro and Platinum editions. Note that VBA is not enabled in the demo version, possibly due to MS licensing restrictions.

There's much more over at https://bricsys.com/bricscad/help/en_US/V17/DevRef/index.html, including DIESEL and the .NET interface.

• Thank you Richard
    Glad to see Diesel is available at least I am familiar with that, and being an avid excel user VBA will be very interesting as well. I did find somewhere that of all things dynamic blocks aren't supported in BricsCad but no doubt with constraints there a ways around that. I'm just digging through those books now.

• Regarding dynamic blocks, as I understand it BricsCAD can use them but can't create them. Something to do with IP restrictions, possibly patents?

• Interesting bit about dynamic blocks at end of 1st para below, in the write-up about new Brics plans in Ralph Grabowski's recent Upfront.ezine -

"Nobody else does that" was a phrase that Bricsys executives used several times during the Insights conference. BricsCAD has unique commands not found in AutoCAD and certainly in few other CAD programs of its price range, especially in the area of 3D, such as 3D constraints, design intent, add-ons for doing 3D BIM and 3D sheet metal design, and a unique at-cursor interface. To be fair, the opposite is also true: BricsCAD lacks some functions found in AutocAD, the most significant in my opinion being no dynamic block editing environment. "It's like writing a second CAD package," one Bricsys executive said.

BricsCAD also has capabilities unavailable in high-end CAD packages whose technology is 30 years old -- such as Pro/E-based Creo, UGS-based NX, and even Revit, whose code pedigree goes back to Pro/Reflex and before that to grand-daddy Sonata. These are programs that got their start in the 1980s ..."

To subscribe to the Newsletter, which is a great supporter of Brics:

"Join the nearly 8,000 subscribers who love receiving their upFront.eZine at 8:00am every Monday morning by email. Write 'subscribe' to grabowski@telus.net. Our newsletter is always free, and is funded through advertising (Thank you, advertisers!) and by reader donations."

• I used to use dynamic blocks a lot, but since changing jobs, that is reduced, and as an Autocad LT user I have never had the chance to use constraints so no idea of the real differences there, but I must say I have seen a lot of problems within blocks on other forums due to constraints that where fixed using dynamic parameters. 3D constraints sound very interesting (I have learn't the basics of Autocad Inventor and they work well there - constraints that is).
    I read through the ezine some nice things in there. I really am hopefull for some more insight into the BIM functionality, I also read a post where at that Bricsys Media event groups of students showed how the process worked, I hope that finds it's way online soon. And the event in Paris later in the year has definitely got my interest.

• @JustBrowsing said:I also read a post where at that Bricsys Media event ...

Can I see any such posts? Got link(s)?

@JustBrowsing said:the event in Paris later in the year

What's that? the annual conference?

• The student thing was actually the day before the main media event in April and aimed at local students, so it might not become available online, but it sounds like the type of thing that should. I read it on a bricsys blog blog.bricsys.com/insights-stories/student-bim-seminar-2017/
    And yes I was refering to the annual user conference to be held in October this year in Paris

This discussion has been closed.