VBA in v16 (32-bit) vs v17 (64-bit)

My company wants to get into using VBA with BricsCAD but currently uses v16 (64-bit) which doesn't support VBA.

Is it feasible to get a single license in either v16 (32-bit) or v17 in order to both write and run VBA? Will this cause compatibility issues in drawing files that are opened and saved in one version and then the other?

Thanks.

Comments

• It is my understanding that a version license allows installation and use of both the 64-bit and 32-bit builds of that version installed on the same computer. I recall doing that back when the 64-bit versions were first released "just in case" there were differences between the behavior of the 32- and 64-bit builds.

I'm also pretty sure that a license for a given version permits use of earlier versions. So, if your company purchases a V17 license, you could keep your V16 installation around for a compatibility check while using V17 as your primary platform. Just verify that the "save as type" format is okay with both releases; shouldn't be an issue between 16 and 17.

• Thanks so much for your advice Richard!

• From the V17 release notes

VBA 7.1 - x64 - x86

• BricsCAD x64 versions now also support the integrated VBA development environment.
    • VBA version was upgraded from 6.3 to 7.1
    • VBA is no longer installed by default, as part of the BricsCAD installer, it now requires a separate installation. The VBA installer can be found in the VBA subfolder of the application installation folder.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

This discussion has been closed.