How to modify feature locations

Hi,
I am a seasoned designer on both Inventor & SolidWorks. I just downloaded BricsCAD and created a solid box with a hole though it. My question is how can I (hopefully easily) modify the hole location without resorting to recreating it at the newly desired location? In the aforementioned CAD solutions you simply click or double click the dimension in model view. Hope this is clear.

Walter

Comments

• Assuming the hole is cylindrical, hover over the cylindrical face of the hole, and select the dmMove command from the Model tab of the Quad (its help string says: "Moves faces, edges or 3d solids").
    The move operation starts and there is a prompt asking to indicate a start point.
    Now, when hovering the cursor over faces, they will be highlighted and (depending on your settings) you will see a UCS triad appear at one of the vertices of the highlighted face: this happens because by default the DUCS (dynamic user coordinate system) is activated (F6 key to toggle it Off).
    This means the active user coordinate system is changed dynamically depending on the currently hovered entity.
    If one of these dynamically highlighted UCS's looks convenient to indicate the intended move translation, pressing the Shift key once suffices to lock the highlighted UCS - it will be displayed using a darker shade of blue.
    Locking the DUCS is by no means a must: the UCS that was highlighted at the moment the start point of the move operation is picked will remain current for the remainder of the command.
    After picking a start point, e.g. by snapping to the center of the hole, dynamic dimensions will appear allowing to specify the desired distance and angle.
    Besides using dynamic dimensions, it is also possible to use polar tracking lines combined with one or more of the many snap options.
    Also here it is good to know that the Shift key again allows to lock/unlock a tracking line.

Hope this gets you a bit further on your way,
    Kind regards,
    Hans

• Thank you very much, Hans! I got it and am starting to like this software.

This discussion has been closed.