Version 17.2.06 - Test run

Just downloaded and installed BricsCAD for the first time and two things I noticed right off the bat. It loads faster than AutoCAD (good). The display is not as sharp (not so good). I am running Win7 Pro - 64bit using a nVidia Quadro 4000 (4GB vidram) graphics card and my screen resolution is set to 1920x1080. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advanced for any feedback.

Comments

• I did come across one other similar thread regarding poor resolution which more or less describes the problem I am seeing. I should point out that when I zoom in close to an area the problem isn't as noticeable it is more apparent when looking at the full drawing which in my case is a 24x36 piping diagram being viewed on a 22" LCD Dell monitor.

• Have a look at AntiAlias settings in SETTINGS dialog (has a search field as well);
    also, check for the 2d/3d device and display interface (GDI/GDI+/OpenGL/RedOpenGL) settings.

There is also REDSDKINFO command to show details about the display interface and driver settings - maybe update the display driver to latest from NVidia ?

many greetings !

• Torsten: re: Antialias setting. This feature is for images that require upscaling when exported. That does not apply here. My concern is what I am seeing on my screen when I open a drawing. The 2D/3D graphic system device settings had no affect on the display. I have yet to check the display driver version but I believe it to be fairly recent. Furthermore, if the display is nice and smooth when using AutoCAD why shouldn't it be just as smooth when using BricsCAD?

• The "AntiAlisaing" setting is not only for images - it is about how GDI+ treats "line" segments ...
    search for all AntiAlisaing settings, there might be multiple entries in Settings,
    can you provide a screenshot ?
    greetings !

• Cyberdyne_T800
    edited May 2017

I was not aware there was more than one setting for anti-aliasing.

OK. I think I found what I needed under Display > Anti-alias amount for screen. The default was set to [1] 1x1 (no anti-aliasing) which I changed to [5] 5x5 (maximum anti-aliasing). I'll continue my testing of BricsCAD and see if this setting suits my needs. Thank you for your assistance.

• To confirm...the above change turned out to be the answer to my problem.

• Please notice setting the Antialiasing high comes at a price: it will slow down real time manipulation of the screen display (pan, rotate, ...). Therefore it is recommended to set Antialiasscreen at the lowest value that suits your needs.

• Only if you have an anemic system to start with.

• ... It loads faster than AutoCAD ...

BricsCAD is a screaming demon compared to any recent version of ACAD on my two year old high end machine. It loads in 1.5sec as opposed to 15sec (secondary runs) and feels faster on everything after that. Please keep BricsCAD lean and mean and avoid whatever the 'desk did to slow down ACAD (a combo of WPF and 6gb+ of fluff?)

• Given the low system requirements for running BricsCAD I see no real reason why panning, rotating, etc. would become slower merely by maxing out the anti-alias setting. Set it and forget it.

• A high Antialiasscreen setting definitely slows down the display of complex 3D models in a rendered visual style. In wireframe mode or 2D drawings it has little effect. So set the value of Antialiasscreen with respect to type of drawings you work on, Notice that the setting can be different in each user profile: e.g. set the setting high in ta 2D drafting profile and low in a 3D profile such as BIM or 3D Modeling.

• Sounds like that is something I'd have to test more thoroughly as the only 3D drawing I've created thus far was a fairly simple one, yesterday, in an attempt to assist another forum member with a problem regarding creating threads. Still I doubt I will see any degradation in system performance as regards BricsCAD.

• Cyberdyne_T800
    edited May 2017

Just ran a quick test on a 3D drawing with a file size of 1.15MB using commands such as pan, rotate, move, and copy. I did not notice any type of performance hit. And I double checked that the anti-alias amount for screen was still set at a value of 5. Maybe any degradation will be more noticeable as file sizes increase? Will have to test what those limits might be later on down the road. Now it's back to the piping schematics.

This discussion has been closed.