Bricsys Crashed ... Not a good feeling

btillman99
edited May 2017 in Other

I was using my Bricsys trial copy this morning on a relatively simple drawing. My system is Windows 10 Pro/x64, i7 with 8 GB RAM. Just rebuilt the OS two days ago with a brand new install file from M$. While working in the drawing I began to notice that the cursor which should be toggling through the Midpoint, Endpoint, icons etc, was beginning to appear weird. Nothing was identifiable about it, That is I couldn't tell whether it was Perpendicular, Endpoint, Midpoint, etc... Then the PAN command really started acting up. I could not get the window to pan properly. After several attempts, Bricscad crashed and said it would try to save the recover file.

This system as an Asus MB with a Nvidia Quadro FX 380 with dual monitors. It's been running AutoCAD without issue for several years but in this recent rebuild I'm trying to use Bricsys as the alternative to AutoCAD. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• btillman99
    edited May 2017

Real bummer. Same thing happened again this morning. The computer was shutdown last night and then restarted this morning. Whatever this is it's a bug that's repeatable but only when the software decides, not me.

What I'm seeing is the PAN symbol, the hand, appears and will not disappear. It remains with the cursor no matter where I move it. I'm also noticing this with other icons. Sometimes the endpoint square remains on the screen long after I've moved away from it or start a new command.

• Are you running any add-on programs? Are you using any lisp functions? Are the drivers for the Quadro FX 380 on the list of approved drivers? http://www.redway3d.com/supported-gpu-tables-for-redsdk/nvidia-gpus-list-for-the-latest-redsdk-release, although they don't seem to know that Windows 10 exists. Running newer video drivers than what's on the list can cause problems.

I have noted some problems with stability in Bricscad but, as you note, the problems seem to be random rather than something I can repeat at will. The failure mode I see most often is when I start a function but immediately realize it was not what I wanted to do and I press ESC. When this failure happens Bricscad locks up and the only option is to use task manage to kill Bricscad. Bricscad does not automatic updates when this failure happens. CPU usage by Bricscad will be at maximum and the program will not accept any input from the keyboard or the mouse. We also have an occasional problem when I work in one drawing for several hours that is much like what you describe -- after an extended period certain functions start to report errors. Please note that I run a lot of custom lisp so some of what I see may may be errors in the 800K+ of lisp files we load with every drawing. Many of these problems also seem to be drawing specific, and the problem drawings tend to come from architects who use CAD programs which do not use DWG as the native format. WBLOCKing the drawings to a new file often fixes this.

All that said, back when I ran Autocad I also had the program both crash and close without warning. With Autocad there was no hope for help from Autodesk. Things are different with Bricscad. I would never consider going back to Autocad.

• Thanks. I am not running any add-on programs and no LISP codes for the moment. It keeps happening and this is on a computer which has been running AutoCAD 2014 for many years with only an occasional issue. I really want to move away from AutoCAD as they have made the cost of ownership beyond my means. But if this is all get with Bricscad then I may not have any option.

As for the Quadro FX 380 I built this system just for AutoCAD and that card while several years old has been working fine for all other software. I was just working the file again and it's not responding again. The menu functions are there but I can't get the mouse to select anything on the screen. So I'll reboot and try again.

• Hi, this is the user forum, for user-to-user communication.

If you file a support request, Bricsys support analysts will be glad to investigate the problem you encounter and do what they can to help you out.
    FYI, also during evaluation of BricsCAD you can file support requests, it is not required to already have bought the software.

It would be helpful to attach one of the drawings with which you encountered the issue (we handle all attached drawings with confidentiality)
    as well as a detailed description of what we should try to reproduce the issue.

Kind regards

• Thanks Hans. Let me get everything together and I will submit for review. It does appear that the PAN command gets stuck and that's when it goes south on me.

• _"Sometimes the endpoint square remains on the screen long after I've moved away from it or start a new command." _

I too have noticed a similar behavior with other esnaps but fortunately I have not experienced any crashes. The Pan command seems to be working as it should.

• I am only on v14, and using it on a Windows 7 machine. I have also had issues with entity snap icons on my v14, and earlier versions of BricsCAD and on other computers. In my case, the icon would just stop showing up. When the snap cursor stops working, it is often (though not always) accompanied by the text editing window to not show my new typing. Once this problem started, the solution was to exit BricsCAD and then restart it.

When I had updated the drivers on my old Quadro FX 580 card to the latest versions, I had more problems. So, eventually decided to stay with the older driver. Over my career, I have experienced similar video issues on other CAD programs as well. In general, any CAD program has to work very closely with the video drivers, and it seems that this is a very challenging thing to do well on all versions of video driver software and hardware.

I am guessing that the snap cursor is one item that has to work closely with the video driver, and is a relationship that is more prone to failure than other things, and Bricsys has not completely solved the problem over time. But, I will second the statement that BricsCAD's support is excellent. Other, much bigger, software vendors will have similar bugs, but offer less support.

-Joe

• I have never encountered a similar type of problem in AutoCAD while using osnaps.

• @Hans De Backer said:
    Hi, this is the user forum, for user-to-user communication.

If you file a support request, Bricsys support analysts will be glad to investigate the problem you encounter and do what they can to help you out.
    FYI, also during evaluation of BricsCAD you can file support requests, it is not required to already have bought the software.

It would be helpful to attach one of the drawings with which you encountered the issue (we handle all attached drawings with confidentiality)
    as well as a detailed description of what we should try to reproduce the issue.

Kind regards

I have some spare time tonight so exactly how do I file a support request? I didn't find a bug report link. Thanks.

• Click the 'My support requests' link on the support page: https://www.bricsys.com/en-intl/support/

• Joe Dunfee
    edited June 2017

@Cyberdyne_T800 said:
    I have never encountered a similar type of problem in AutoCAD while using osnaps.

Video card issues have always been a part of CAD programs, and the exact failure will vary from individual to individual. One of the common tips given by major CAD vendors, is "use an approved video driver" to try to reduce the problems, But, even then it may still be a source of trouble. In my case, I found that BricsCAD had both display issues and was more prone to crashing when I used the most recent driver, and so have kept it at an older version. Even so, the video driver sometimes has issues with not re-drawing the screen after I turn a lot of layers off and then on again.

As for support requests, it is not as easy as it should be. To see the link to start one, you must first do a search of the knowledge base, and then choose a topic. There will probably not be a successful tip to help your problem, but you must go through this process first, before the button to submit a request is shown.

-Joe

• I don't believe the problem is related to the video card/drivers being used by the OP. If that were the case other anomalies would most likely be seen as well.

• I just rebuilt this computer's OS today with Windows 10 Pro. Then I updated the Nvidia Quadro FX 380 driver to the latest version. I've been running BricsCAD only for about 30 minutes so far but there are no instances of the PAN stalling that I was seeing earlier. It may be too soon to speak but so far so good.

• My own problems with the snap icons not showing up is quite intermittent. I may not see it for months, and then I may experience several times over a few days.

-Joe

This discussion has been closed.