Extruded Tube Disintegrates

I'm very accustomed to drawing in 3D in AutoCAD so let me repeat a simple procedure I often do. I draw a rectangle, then offset it to represent a square tube with a given wall thickness. I turn each of these rectangles into REGIONS, then subtract the inside one from the outside one. Then I extrude it and I have a 3D square tube.

Now I try the same thing in BricsCAD and I get the tube but when I try to move it, the inside wall disconnects from the outside wall and I have two tubes totally independent of each other. Am I missing something here???

Comments

• Sounds like something that is not working as designed. Could you please file a support request and attach a sample drawing so we can investigate what goes astray and why? There are several ways to move a solid, besides MOVE, there is e.g. also BIMDRAG and DMMOVE. In the problem description please specify which command and which option is used.

Coming to think of it: perhaps you selected the Surface Extrude button from the Quad? This tool calls the DMEXTRUDE command with the Surface option, and produces surfaces instead of 3dSolids. That could indeed explain the 'disintegration' upon moving.

In the mean time let me describe a faster way to create such tube: once you have the two offset rectangles, make sure the SELECTIONMODES flag for boundary detection is On. This can be done by clicking on the corresponding SELECTIONMODES toolbar button, or by e.g. keying in SELECTIONMODES on the command line and setting it to 4.
    Now hover the cursor in the area between the two rectangles: a boundary is detected and the commands that can be applied to it are shown in the Quad cursor menu. Click the Extrude button and specify the desired extrusion length, or use e.g. the 'set limit' option to immediately create the tube connected to an existing face.

• After having read this post I attempted the exact same exercise but my result was the opposite of yours. When I moved the tube it was one solid entity. Makes me think you did something wrong. BTW...I did not make any changes to any settings what-so-ever.

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited June 2017

See the attached movie.

• Surely btillman knows how to work with such commands as Region, Subtract and Extrude having come previously from an AutoCAD background and given the fact that these very same commands are present in BricsCAD and work exactly the same. I highly doubt he inadvertently used DMEXTRUDE with the Surface option as that would have required a deliberate choice. I think he should retrace his steps but after running the Subtract command I suggest he click on the tube shape to verify he is working with a single entity not two separate entities.

This discussion has been closed.