copy between 2 open drawings

When I open 2 drawings and attempt to 'cut" or 'copy' to clipboard and then paste to another drawing in the same screen, I see the words 'pasteclip' but the command does not activate. I've tried the alternates such as buttons and use of the cascading menu under edit. Any ideas?

Comments

• The copy function between two drawings is a great feature. When I use it, I use the "tile vertically" Window to set the drawings side by side. I use the regular "copy" function to select from one drawing and place in the other. Some tips: If you are copying to a drawing in the same project that has the same coordinate basis, make sure that the copy reference in the first drawing is 0,0,0 so that when you "click" on the second drawing and it asks for placement point you use 0,0,0 to locate the copied items properly. 2) if you are not using 0,0,0, then you might want to select an end of line or some snap to copy to, otherwise your copied items will most likely appear way off away from the rest of your drawing. 3) if your "copy to" drawing contains the same layers as the "copy from" drawing, make sure the layers in the "copy to" drawing are "thawed" so you can track their placement.I hope this helps. Tony

• I just tried it out and it works as it should: select entities in the source drawing, then press Ctrl + C (or select copy from the edit menu), go to the target drawing and press Ctrl + V (or select paste from the edit menu). The command window reads "_Pasteclip" and the copied entities are pasted in the target drawing.Maybe you need to ZOOM EXTENDS to see the pasted entities in the target drawing.

• The copy command works in 2 ways.If you rightclick your mouse and choose copy you are asked for a base point. Go to next drawing and place the insertion point.BUTIf you choose copy from the EDIT menu you will never be asked where to place it.My bet is try Louis zoom extents.

• Thanks to all who replied. Your solutions worked and now save me some time and offer an alternate to 'write block' which I also use quite frequently.

This discussion has been closed.