Hi! I've been using Revit since 2000. Would anyone like to 'sell' me BricsCAD?

Hi All,

Like it says in the title; I've been using Revit for a while. There are even one or two things in Revit I suggested, back in about 2003.

But it's nearly 20 years later and the love affair is over. Revit has grown hairy and old; I don't eagerly await each April with more excitement than Christmas any more. It's more a sort of "Meh, what now? 8-level deep dialog boxes? Another rendering mode I will never use? Wiggly lines?" (by the way - who asked for that? I want them found and brought before me, bound and gagged.)

I've worked in (and still work in) various industries and companies with massive investment in the Autodesk merry-go-round; especially at the Revit/BIM level. 50+ seats (hey, that's _huge _for Australia!) and billion-dollar projects (think major health care & large scale retail)

Can we move to BricsCAD without going broke / loosing work? Can we still play with the other BIM dogs? Can it do the building in the attached picture? (Hamilton Island Yacht Club. I was Project Architect for it, I did 95% of the modelling & drawings myself using Revit 2004-2009)

Sell me BricsCAD.

Advisory: the use of the term 'CAD' is making my spine crawl. Have I had too much BIM KoolAid or is this justified?

Comments

• Yes you can.
    The workflow is a little different - we are always working in 3d views and this is probably not ideal for floor planning, eg a hospital. A yacht club seems feasible. You have Direct Modelling tools like SketchUp to create your model. You have the ability to slice sections and detail sections from your 3D models and present them in linked 2D drawings. You can enhance 2D details with long-established 2D drafting tools. With Xrefs, you can have repeated typical buildings, typical floors, repeated apartment interiors etc. With Xrefs, several people can work on different parts of the same building. With lofts and deformed modelling, you can create some sculptural forms.

'Sell me BricsCAD'? We don't do snake oil, sorry.

Of course we don't know everything you want to do, and our BIM product is not 20 years mature. You will find the limitations and maybe some rough edges! But think about it, we already have BIM and IFC compatibility sitting on a product which does parametric assembly modelling and mechanisms. That supports civil engineering and structural steel detailing plug-ins. All working together in the open and accessible .DWG format. Software with a fair price tag! And we are very keen to help you. This software is evolving right now and your suggestions can influence our team.

I wouldn't suggest you start on a billion dollar project! I think you should expect to spend some time evaluating, some time learning and testing and then use it on a smaller project. That's just common sense. And meanwhile, we will bust a gut to help you succeed.

Damian Harkin
    Sofoco Pty Ltd
    +61 402 346 961

• Adriane, do you want to get started on a free trial of BricsCAD BIM? If you download BricsCAD, it runs as a trial for 30 days. We can help you via TeamViewer.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!