Autosave slowing down work.....

I was wondering if anyone but me thinks autosave could use some work. I think it is a good thing to let autosave save a copy every 15 minutes or so. But I have to ask WHY, when I leave my machine for a coffee break, or discussion, do I come back and have to wait for autosave to do MULTIPLE saves, one right after another? On a big drawing this eats up a lot of time. Is there a way to defeat this?

Comments

• Hi Jim.

which version do you use ?
    In more recent versions (V17) we improved AutoSave for exactly such details :-)
    many greetings !

• Terry Dotson
    edited July 2017

I have use CAD engines for over 25 years with autosave OFF and have never lost anything. If I create a new drawing I set variables and save immediately. Any time I'm working in a drawing, I save when I have accomplished something. Daily I back up the files modified that day to a backup folder with that days name. Weekly I move those to another folder, and so on. If I needed to I could go back to any point in time to check the status of a file and have occasionally.

Drive space is dirt cheap for GBs and there is no reason not to do multiple backups. Just don't ever rely on an application to save for you. Lastly when a CAD engine is crashing and wants to save your changes, switch to Windows Explorer and backup your file first! There is a good chance it will create a corrupt file.

• Jim Canale
    edited July 2017

@Torsten Moses said:

which version do you use ?
    In more recent versions (V17) we improved AutoSave for exactly such details

Torsten,
    Sorry for the delay in responding. (health issues) I just got upgraded to 17.2.08. Currently, I'm not working on any large drawings, but I will watch for an improvement.

• @Terry Dotson said:
    I have use CAD engines for over 25 years with autosave OFF and have never lost anything. If I create a new drawing I set variables and save immediately. Any time I'm working in a drawing, I save when I have accomplished something. Daily I back up the files modified that day to a backup folder with that days name. Weekly I move those to another folder, and so on. If I needed to I could go back to any point in time to check the status of a file and have occasionally.

Drive space is dirt cheap for GBs and there is no reason not to do multiple backups. Just don't ever rely on an application to save for you. Lastly when a CAD engine is crashing and wants to save your changes, switch to Windows Explorer and backup your file first! There is a good chance it will create a corrupt file.

Terry,

Thanks for your reply. I don't depend on Autosave. It's just there for emergencies.. I do a manual save (to our server) every 4 or 5 minutes, if I remember, particularly if I am working with a large drawing. I'm limited in the space I can occupy on the server. (Also don't have a lot of free space on my local drive.) Not sure how much the server limit is, but I have already bumped into the limit on one or two occasions. My response is to "house clean". I tend to accumulate a lot of intermediate drawings. No need to keep all of them.

I will keep in mind your suggestion to drop into Windows Explorer when BricsCAD is crashing. I can usually get to Explorer if BricsCAD is frozen. But when it crashes, it often takes my system down before I can do anything about saving.

This discussion has been closed.