Vertical hatching

Hi, does anyone know whether there's a method of hatching vertical structures? I've tried the standard hatching tool, but found that i only hatched on horizontal surfaces.I'm currently planning a machine shed with sheet metal walls - In order to hand the views in for a planning permission, these are supposed to have a hatching; coloured surfaceses are frowned upon.
Thanks a lot

Comments

• Hatches are placed in the XY plane of the current UCS. Therefore you must align the UCS to the plane of the entity first if it is not in the XY plane of the WCS.

• Thanks for the heads up.

• You wouldn't know wether hatching can be bound to an object or not? Everytime i spawn a new hatching for an object in 3d, it's spawned quite some distance to the object in question, as opposed to being attached to the object. Equally i've experienced hatching disappearing/changing position when moving the pov in 3d.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited August 2017

@MacAulay:
    It seems you have not fully understood Louis's comment. When creating a hatch the XY-plane of the current UCS has to be co-planar with the hatch boundary. To align the UCS you can start the _Ucs command and then pick 3 points on the boundary. The first point will be the origin of the new UCS, the next point determines the X-axis and the final point the Y-axis of the UCS. For a clear visual indication of the origin of the current UCS use the _UcsIcon command and select the _ORigin option.

• Another way to align the UCS with a planar 3d solid face, is to hover on the face and choose 'Align UCS' from the 'Model' section in the quad.

• Guys there is something strange going on here.
    see clip
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ou0c4CSi7yQm00UjRNMnFSVU0/view?usp=sharing
    Making USC creating same hatch from 2 viewpoints.

• @Patrik Sparrman:
    What you are seeing is not strange. When you create the second hatch the XY-plane of the UCS is parallel to but not co-planar with a face of the box.

• I have a guess, that I am doubtful of. What is your elevation setting? If it is not zero, perhaps it has an effect in an orthographic view, that is not active when in other viewpoints.

-Joe

• Hmm I never change the UCS I just turn it around it seems that you get a new ucs as soon as you hit the orthographic views.
    Is there a way to temporarily lock the UCS you have choosen? Without naming it. Shift does not work.

• @Patrick
    Check the UCSORTHO variable. If UCSORTHO=ON the coordinate system is aligned automatically to the view if an orthographic view (Top, Left, Right, Front, Back) is selected.

• That makes a lot of sense. If the UCS changes via. the UCSORTHO variable, then I am not sure what happens to the origin.

-Joe

• An orthographic UCS has its origin at the WCS origin.

• OK things start to make sense now I have had som trouble with this.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!