Settings for ips monitor

Just got a 32" LG monitor and was wondering if anyone had some general settings they recommend for working in model space with black background? Right now green text is too bold/bright and I know there's more to it than adjusting the brightness "dial". Tried different modes: game/cinema/photo & etc. but none really address the issue. Maybe I'm just an old "fart" and need to go back to my hulking CRT?

Comments

• I am going to speculate with several ideas. Perhaps one of them will prove useful.

Is your monitor 4k? If so, I was considering one myself, but checking out some line art on one at a store, it showed that there were color shifting issues. It looked like there were not enough color points assigned to a thin line, so that some lines appeared to change their color as you moved your head. I am not at all confident that the color-shift problem is related to your situation, but I mention the color-shift issue as an example of one problem that can occur on a 4k monitor.

At first, I was wondering if your problem may be related to color temperature? But, I think green would be unchanged, since it is right in the middle of the RGB colors.

I don't know all the adjustments that your monitor has. But, you might play with virtually all the settings One obvious setting would be if you can just adjust the level of green alone. Even what may seem unrelated may actually affect things, especially if it is drawn with a fine line. So, try sharpness and "super resolution' settings if your monitor has them.

Personally, I prefer a white background, because then a bright-vs-dark line color choice would be appropriate for printing on paper. (e.g. yellow is very clear on a black background, but almost invisible on white paper). Another motivation is that on a white background, you see a lot less glare from objects reflected in the room. I wonder if the brightness of the green text would be different if the background were white. Might the manufacturer have wrote code to improve the image for things like word processing an other things that are on a white background, to the detriment of programs using a black background?

-joe

• Joe - It's not 4K, just HD. Ended up packing it and returning, due mostly to dead pixels which started showing up. The model is LG 32MA68, which I recommend avoiding it for CAD purposes. Didn't mention that the screen is NOT anti-glare which drove me crazy too.

• Joe Dunfee
    edited October 2017

A good monitor is worth the investment. It generally will maintain its usefulness for longer than your CPU. There haven been a few times when monitors were improving fast enough, that it was viable to just buy well behind the price curve, but good quality flat-screen monitors are so low in price now, that it is well worth it to buy quality.

4k displays are on the horizon, but software has not fully been updated to deal with them (SolidWorks, is the one I know of that just doesn't work well with 4k yet). The very affordable 27" 4k displays are just too small to really benefit from the high resolution anyway.

-Joe

This discussion has been closed.