Inserting blocks - Base vs. 0,0

I have a block in my library that has a base point different than 0,0. Never noticed this before today, It has been inserting correctly at the base definition for the last 20 years. This particular block is now inserting using its 0,0 point for insertion. This is happening in SOME drawings.

Is there a variable that decides if an inserted block uses base vs. it's 0,0 ?

Another question, I redefined the library block to have matching base and 0,0. upon my next insert, the existing same blocks in the dwg moved. I thought that block definition in a drawing was never changed by inserting a modified block with same name . Variable that controls this ??

Thanks, Jay Petersen

FYI, I have been using this block with bricscad for over 5 years and acad for the 12 years before that.

Comments

• CBPR from Lee Mac might be helpful. http://lee-mac.com/changeblockinsertion.html

But man, if you've been using CAD for 20 years I think you gotta figure this one out on your own :p

• Mr Viking, I do know how to change base points on blocks, redefine blocks, etc .... So I can fix the problem in my drawing. And in my library the block now has 0,0 and base as the same point. Question is why is the block suddenly inserting using it's 0,0 as reference instead of BASE.

JP

• “You don't have to understand the world. You just have to find your own way around in it.” - Albert Einstein

Lee Mac's program will set the base point to whatever you want.. CBPR will even change it without moving the existing blocks in the drawing. You could spend hours looking backwards figuring out what went wrong or you could just fix it and move forward.

If the world was too big for Einstein to understand it all, then I think that relieves us common people from understanding everything as well.

• Mmm ... but it's fine to ask, good to understand, yes perhaps know when to shelve it , but not too soon

This discussion has been closed.