Dark theme User Interface

Most graphic software such as Photoshop, Illustrator or CAD such as AutoCAD, ZWCAD are all using dark themes for ribbon user interface. It's clear that this is the trend in any software where people are using software the whole day. It would be great if BricsCAD offer the choice in the future to show menu's, palettes and ribbons in a dark user interface.

Comments

• Same suggestion/request by my side!

• I have no objection to adding a dark theme, but they need to keep the existing light theme option, too. I find I'm more productive and more comfortable at the end of the day when I use light themes. I consider dark themes more a marketing thing than a true product enhancement.

Adding the ability to skin Bricscad would be even better.

• Im all about a dark theme.

• Maybe its not the right topic, but my suggestion is also about the interface.

I´m used to the vertical arrangement of the Ribbon (in AutoCad).
    You can select the art of the display,(Tabs, Panel Titles, Panel Buttons),
    so you can minimize the ribbon to the buttons, (it has the width of 2xToolbars).
    If you put it to the left/right side of the display, you have more height in the drawing area.
    I like this feature, the ribbon pops out just for the functions, commands, properties I use with a command,
    its not there all the when I don't use it.

It would be grate to have the possibility to arrange the ribbon vertically not just horizontal like it is now.

• Lots of request for that when Bentley introduced the ribbon - the answer was - impossible, as it's a MS Windows function, horizontal only. Yet you say Acad has it - must be in recent versions that I don't know.

• MatthewFuller
    edited January 2018

I'm taking Bricscad for a test drive in Linux Mint 18.3. I'm loving erverything I see so far; other that the white interface. It's hard on my eyes. Is there a way to make the ribbons/toolbars dark?

• Michael Mayer
    edited February 2018

I don't really need a dark theme.
    (I like light gray themes in CAD, opposed to 3D Mesh Apps)
    But I would really to tint the Palettes background to 20% gray,
    so that the drawing area pops out.

• I'd love a dark theme. It's hard to go back to a light theme now, the white is so much harder on the eyes.

• Hi I am new to BricsCAD and when I first started using I also found the white perimeter difficult to look at fro long periods, I have changed the windows settings colour to a grey and it has certainly reduced the white glare.

• Having a more darker theme I too would find beneficial. When using a program for 8+ hours a day the white can certainly be very tiresome, especially to those of us who have been using drafting programs for a couple of decades.

• @Michael Mayer said:
    I don't really need a dark theme.
    (I like light gray themes in CAD, opposed to 3D Mesh Apps)

I reject this statement :neutral:

I played with an other CAD that has a new clean dark UI.
    Similar like 3D Apps like Modo or Cinema 4D, but very dark.
    It doesn't work so well for Model presentation but is very
    relaxed to work with itself. Less eye strain.
    It looks very pleasant because of its very reduced modern
    monochrom Tool Icons. Of course these are hard to distinguish.

So I can imagine to work CAD/BIM in a dark UI and it would be
    interesting to see how Bricscad would look like in a dark mode,
    but with its nice colored Tool Icons.

• Terry Dotson
    edited April 2018

I hate a dark theme and think it would be a complete waste of Bricsys time to produce one. Much more important work to be done !

BricsCAD starts in a blink (1sec) here compared to the (15-20sec) molasses of product A.

• max 7 seconds here ....

• @Tom Foster said:
    Lots of request for that when Bentley introduced the ribbon - the answer was - impossible, as it's a MS Windows function, horizontal only. Yet you say Acad has it - must be in recent versions that I don't know.

I am guessing that Autodesk simply coded their own version of the ribbon, apart from the Windows OS.

If you want a dark theme (I have long struggled wiht how this forum keeps changing my formatting)....
    ......................................................Do............................. Do
    ....Dooot Dooot Dooo.............../ .....\ Dooo............... /..... \ Dooo
    ........................................ Doot /....................... Doot /

-Joe

• uStation has meanwhile a ribbon, interesting.
    I stuck with MS XM :smile:
    MS was always strictly Windows standards only.

But on Windows you could create your (system wide) dark theme
    yourself in Windows settings (?)
    At least the Vectorworks users showed how to do so.
    On Mac you rely on Apps that offer their own GUI.

This discussion has been closed.