BricsCAD v17 is not running on Ubuntu 17.10

When I click on BricsCAD icon a loading app circle appears then nothing happens.
Any idea how to fix that?

Comments

• Hints to run BricsCAD V17.2.11 on Ubuntu 17.10

• (general hint for startup problems) Run BricsCAD from a terminal, then you can get feedback about missing libraries. You can also use ldd to spot missing libraries. In our knowledge base article Bricscad (Linux) on 64bit Linux systems, see the section "More information" about running from terminal and ldd.
    • Remove libz from BricsCAD installation
      The libz library inside the BricsCAD installation has dependencies that no longer exist on Ubuntu 17.10.
      However, the zlib library from the system can be used instead.
      Simply remove libz from the BricsCAD installation.
      sudo rm /opt/bricsys/bricscad/v17/libz.so.1

• On my system with an NVIDIA GPU, the default Nouveau driver was sufficient for display performance in BricsCAD, but GLSWAPMODE had to change to 0. However, I had problems using Ubuntu's login screen, which were fixed by activating the proprietary GPU NVIDIA driver on my system. (I do not know whether the new login screen has problems on ATI/AMD cards.)

• For the time being do not use Wayland, instead use Ubuntu xorg session
      BricsCAD uses X11. The entire GUI responds sluggish in a Wayland session. For instance, there are seconds (!) of delay before the quad or autocomplete is displayed.

I hope this helps!
    Tijs

• shrinux
    edited November 2017

Thanks, Tijs !

Deleting libz.so.1 did the trick.
    Now, I have a message saying "Your license for this product has expired (Error code -3)"

• Now, I have a message saying "Your license for this product has expired (Error code -3)"

This message suggests that you tried BricsCAD V17 before and your free trial has expired.

Please enter a support request for further help concerning licenses.

• Setting GLSWAPMODE to 0 completely solved the ghosting/tracking display issue that occurred on start up. Thanks Vermeulen!

Now BricsCAD looks like the program I am hoping for: A simple, efficient, affordable CAD system will be great.

This discussion has been closed.