Projected View is slow......

Using the projected view for the first time I am finding it very slow
I generated 4 views, typical top front left & iso & it took almost two minutes to finish them.
After that Autosave ran & it took almost 60 seconds.
Then I created a section view from one of the views & it took 60 seconds or more to produce.

Is this normal? File : https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdvuybtim3j3jf8/S02-111517.zip?dl=0

Comments

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited November 2017

If your model is similar to the models in your previous posts: most likely the threaded bolts and nuts are the culprits.

These bolts are mostly hidden but AFAIK when these views are created hidden geometry is also generated, even if the view will not display the layers this info is on.

• So what is the procedure for dealing with these intricate little items?
    How would you deal with it?
    Maybe make them blocks with simple geometry & when the drawing was finished replace the blocks with real bolts?
    I only would need real bolts in the detail of the flanges and even then I might just draw them in.

• It's odd that I did not have this issue in BCv17 or until I created the Views.
    I just did an RFedit of the Bolt block in model space & made no changes.
    When I closed the RFedit it took almost 60 seconds to get the cursor back.
    There is no view visible.

OK when I deleted the views from that Layout, the normal snappy speed returned.

• When creating a _ViewBase view you are prompted to select entities or accept the default 'Entire model' option. For your model with over 500 fasteners (if you also count the washers) the default option is not the right choice.

Ideally this would be a viable scenario (but it is not):

1. In every 'Flange' block you nest simplified versions of the fasteners on a specific layer.
    2. Before creating the _ViewBase view for the entire assembly you freeze the layer the complex fasteners are on and thaw the layer of their simplified counterparts.
    3. After creating the view you reset the layers.
    4. This seems to work: the _ViewBase view still displays the simplified model so it has not reacted to the new layer state.
    5. But if you now make any change to the model and then switch to the layout the view is on, the view will be updated automatically with the detailed fasteners that are now visible.
    6. The VIEWUPDATEAUTO variable plays a role here. And if you are very careful you may be able to make this work. But IMO this is too tricky. In general you have to pay close attention to frozen layers when working with _ViewBase views.

When selecting entities for the _ViewBase view you can also select sub-entities. But doing so for 500+ fasteners does not make sense. IMO the best solution for your model is to create 3 'Flange' blocks. One with just the plates, one with the detailed fasteners and finally one with the simplified fasteners. That way you can easily select the plates and the version of the fasteners you need for your views.

Of course if you create a simplified _ViewBase view using the _ViewDetail command stops making sense.

• Roy,
    This information is very helpful and I appreciate your time.
    I think I will try using a simplified Flange block in the model & create a separate flange block with real bolts for the detail.
    I won't be able to use the _ViewDetail command.

Thanks

• OK, I redefined the flange as one solid, having the hex heads extruded out of the surface.
    This made a huge difference in program speed. There is still a 6 to 10 second delay on switching to the layout with the projected views.

Another funky thing I noticed with associative dimensions when you move the projected view of the view base around in the layout.
    The dimensions on other projected views lose their proper attachment points. Is this normal?

Can you stop the projected views from updating automatically?

• The VIEWUPDATEAUTO variable that was already mentioned should control this (I have not tested your particular scenario).

• Thanks again Roy,
    If you do not want to use ViewBase views, how do you create section views.

• Instead of a _ViewBase view you can try using a 'normal' viewport with a 3D visual style. And if your model is unlikely to change using the _FlatShot command to create 2D representations may also work.

• Thanks again.
    I'll look into the FlatShot command.

If I wanted a side view of the triangle tower, how would you go about getting that view to a viewport.
    In other words similar to a "Top Right Back" from the LookFrom except it is not quite the correct plane. i.e. the view "Top Right Back"
    is not perpendicular to that side of the triangle.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited November 2017

Before selecting the position for the first _ViewBase view you can specify the _Orientation. One of the options is _Current which uses the current model space view as the basis for the _ViewBase views. To get the correct model space view you can use the _UCS and _Plan commands.

• Got it , I'll give that a try

This discussion has been closed.