Transistion from Fusion 360 to BrisCAD

2»

Comments

• fredericklim
    edited December 2017
    [Edit]
    The 2D constrained sketch in intend to make the rough 3D model, there is no dimensional constraint. The sketch is intended to form the curve side by using a sweep cut, and apply 3D constraint later.

But I cannot select the sketch once I move the sketch inside the solid, I cannot do the sweep cut to form the curve side of the shape.

I tried to do in another way, create the cushion shape profile as sweep path, and create the side curve sketch. When I select the curve sketch profile and select sweep in solid, BricsCAD crashed.

I tried the same side curve profile with Revolve but no problem.

[Edit 2]
    I tried to explode the side curve profile, I select the profile again, this time sweep does not crash, but sweep in the wrong orientation.

[Edit 3]
    I change the UCS [watch profile_explode_ucs.dwg], now the sweep orientation seems correct, but the result is messed up.

I use sweep a lot in product design, for now I need to go back to F360 for my project or learn Rhino.
  • Here is a dwg outlining the 3 steps I would take.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    Here is a dwg outlining the 3 steps I would take.

Studying your dwg I found I need to join the profile shape and path to make the sweep works. Keep learning now. Thank you very much.

• fredericklim
    edited December 2017

I struggle to setup the 3D constraint of that cushion shape. For instance, I want the width didn't change, only change the side curve, and top and bottom face will larger or smaller depend on the curve. but when I change the curve radius, the whole shape will scale XY up and down. I cannot set distant constrain for the curved sides.

Enclosed is my dwg with some 3D constraints setup. Thank you for advise.

• In this webcast we will cover Fusion 360 Simulation in more depth, including positioning, capabilities, workflow, advantages, pricing, and development road map.

• @fredericklim:
    To answer your question:
    To make sure the outer radii of the torus faces do not change you will have to use this formula:
    OuterRadius = RotationRadius + TubeRadius
    When applying a _DmRadius3d constraint to a torus face you can choose between tube or rotation radius.

But somehow BricsCAD cannot handle this model. If you remove all constraints except the 8 TubeRadius_* constraints, you can change the VCurve parameter and the model behaves correctly. But adding even one _DmTangent3d constraint between two circular edges of one of the planar faces will 'lock up' the model. And this obviously should not happen. You should send in a support request.

@fredericklim:
    To answer your question:
    To make sure the outer radii of the torus faces do not change you will have to use this formula:
    OuterRadius = RotationRadius + TubeRadius
    When applying a _DmRadius3d constraint to a torus face you can choose between tube or rotation radius.

But somehow BricsCAD cannot handle this model. If you remove all constraints except the 8 TubeRadius_* constraints, you can change the VCurve parameter and the model behaves correctly. But adding even one _DmTangent3d constraint between two circular edges of one of the planar faces will 'lock up' the model. And this obviously should not happen. You should send in a support request.

Could you help to send a support request, I am still a noob and afraid cannot fully explain the issue to support. Thank you.

• @fredericklim:
    I am sorry but I will not do that.
    For two reasons:

1. I already have a lot of SR's to my name.
    2. Although in general I am very happy with how Bricsys responds to SR's, this does not always apply to SR's related to constraints. In some of those cases response is sluggish and problems are not always addressed seriously. Which is frustrating as composing these SR's especially is quite time-consuming.
  • @Roy Klein
    No problem, I will try to open a SR after I understand your comment about OuterRadius = RotationRadius + TubeRadius.

• I disable all my previous constraints. I have add RotationRadius and TubeRadius on one face, but cannot figure out how to combine the two constraints. How to combine them into OuterRadius?

• @fredericklim:
    Here is a very simple model of a constrained torus to clarify.

@fredericklim:

I learned how to use RotationRadius and TubeRadius from your TorusTest model. Many thanks for that.

Regarding my previous cushion shaped model, I also wonder why adding tangent constraint between circular edges of the planar faces will cause "Unsatisfied constraint detected" to those TubeRadius constraints. I will submit a support request.

This discussion has been closed.