Unexpected end of file:

Hi
When opening DWG files directly from finder, there's always an error: Unexpected end of file:
(11)
Make sure the file is a valid dwg drawing
then try using 'Recover' to load the file.

After clicking Ok the file opens.

Is this normal?

Comments

• I have never seen that.
    I can open Bricscad by double clicking a DWG in Finder or RMB open with.
    (Latest V17, macOS 10.13.1)

Have you tried RMB "open with" option ?

But what I can't do is trying to open a file from finder AFTER Bricscad
    is already open ! Only from Bricscad File Open Menu.
    If I try, Bricscad tries to start another instance which will bump in the Dock
    and which finally closes and the first Bricscad instance is active - without
    the second file loaded.
    I am not sure if macOS allows multiple instances of Apps at all, but I think
    at least it should open files in this case in the first instance.

• @jan said:
    When opening DWG files directly from finder, there's always an error

And when opening from inside BricsCAD, the same error does not happen?

I just checked various ways to open directly from finder (by double click, by context menu, if BricsCAD is already running, if BricsCAD is not running...).
    In all cases the file open in a proper instance
    I tested with BricsCAD V17.2.13 on OSX 10.10.5.
    Please enter a support request, so a support analyst can help with narrowing down.

@Michael Mayer said:
    But what I can't do is trying to open a file from finder AFTER Bricscad is already open !

I could not reproduce that either.

I think at least it should open files in this case in the first instance.

That is the intention and on my side this seems to work properly.

The "CFBundleIdentifier" of BricsCAD intentionally contains the major version number, eg "com.bricsys.bricscadv17". As a result, BricsCAD V16 and BricsCAD V17 are considered different applications, to be listed in "open with". Installing two micro/minor versions within the same major version is not supported, only the newest one wins.

• Thanks Tijs,
    so it is on my side.
    Tried again, doesn't work here by click nor open with,
    when Bricscad + file already open.

I have only V17 installed, no older Version in Open With dialog.
    Can it be a 10.13 High Sierra Problem ?

And I thought I once found a bricscad setting, if there are multiple instances
    allowed or not (or was thins in Win Version only ?)
    At least I searched for it but did not find it again so far.

BTW
    When all files in Bricscad are closed,
    all tool palettes are grayed out and inactive. That is also for Ribbon > Home,
    where you would have attractive large Icons to open files - but deactivated.
    I still always try these, until I realize I have to go a more tedious way by menu.

BTW2
    It would be nice if the Forum had user signatures,
    where users could add their Hardware, OS and Bricscad Version Specs.
    (And keep them current)

• Thanks Michael

Yes, I have tried RMB option, but it's the same.
    You are right, only the file open menu works the way it should be!

• @Tijs Vermeulen said:

@jan said:

No, when opening thru file menu "open" then dwg just opens.

• I tested with BricsCAD V17.2.13 on OSX 10.10.5.

I work with BricsCAD 17.2.13 on Osx 10.13.1

• And I thought I once found a bricscad setting, if there are multiple instances allowed or not (or was thins in Win Version only ?)

I'm afraid there are even two such settings: singleton and sdi. I recommend not touching those settings.
    Frankly, even merely trying to understand what a combination of these two variables might mean is a mind-boggling endeavour. I consider these settings legacy settings. I think they should be removed altogether from BricsCAD(Mac). Less is more. But it is tricky to remove existing settings and easily postponed because of higher priorities...

• I agree, for a Mac (and Vectorworks) user, Bricscad has quite a lot of possible
    settings. And all which I need a pretty equally distributed of the whole list,
    I search for them each time again after the last Config renewal.
    Settings descriptions or help system aren't that voluminous that one could really
    understand what they are doing. There is also no indication about importance or
    riskiness.
    And I vote for a sorting option :
    "Show customized/changed settings only"
    to better UnDo.

• @Tijs Vermeulen said:

@jan said:

I just checked various ways to open directly from finder (by double click, by context menu, if BricsCAD is already running, if BricsCAD is not running...).
    In all cases the file open in a proper instance
    I tested with BricsCAD V17.2.13 on OSX 10.10.5.
    Please enter a support request, so a support analyst can help with narrowing down.

I've had this problem in certain drawings and have narrowed the issue (in my case) to Dimensions. When I eliminate or explode the Dimensions and save to a new .dwg, the error message is no longer there. Is there a setting in Dimensions that may be causing this?

Version 17.1.21 (x64). Mac OSX 10.12.6

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!