Section Views Question

I used Viewbase to generate a section view. The problem I have is that the client wants a cleaner looking view.
The section view looks at the top of a partially rotated 12x12 HSS tube which has rounded edges.
The part being rotated does not help as it shows the lower edge too.
I used Flatshot on hole views which worked well.
SolProf has a problem if the parts are in blocks, it ignores those 3D parts.

Is there another way to generate a 3D section view? I am using V18 Pro

Comments

• I'm a little late to the party but if we were talking AutoCAD another way to generate a section would be via the combo commands SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW. Not sure if Bricscad has an equivalent set of commands.

• Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I have used SolProf and SOLDRAW is not yet supported.

Problem is blocks are not shown, so you have to explode back to solids.
    That is the case with Flatshot or Solprof but I can't remember which one at this moment.

It appears the neither helps with section views.
    Viewbase will do sections views but I'm not seeing a way to control the depth of the section view.

• Hans De Backer
    edited December 2017

The SectionPlane command can be used to create Section entities ( not related in any way to Drawing Views and the sections they offer )
    Using these Section entities, the SectionPlaneToBlock command can generate 2d sections ("drawings") or 3d sections ("3D cutaways").
    (you would want to generate 2d sections).
    The 2d section drawing can be generated either in a block or in a separate drawing.
    FYI: BimSection entities are in fact Section entities to which extra handy features have been added, but also the regular Section entities are already packed with interesting features. Some of the Section properties are displayed in the Properties panel upon selecting a section.
    The Sections category in the Drawing Explorer shows all properties.

Sections have a 'state' property which can be set to 'Plane', 'Boundary' or 'Volume'. The Volume and Boundary state allow to control the depth of what is included in the view.

'Clip Display' is another very powerful feature: when activated (e.g. by double-clicking the section entity), all model content outside of the section volume will be clipped away from the view, and lids and hatching will be applied where solids are actually sectioned.
    When moving such section in clipped state, the sectioned display is updated in real-time, as you drag, providing direct insight in how a model has been built.
    Multiple section planes can be simultaneously set to clipping state, allowing to focus and work on a small part of the model, with a clear direct view that isn't obliterated by undesired geometry, without the need to switch layerstates or similar.

When time allows, I plan to prepare some examples added to a model you posted here.

• Charles Alan Butler
    edited December 2017

That info is so helpful. You have been generous with your time and knowledge.
    Thanks

My problem is that I went for little to no knowledge of 3D CAD to producing a shop drawing of a complex (IMO) object.
    The non-plainer tubes threw me for a loop. Although this crash course, with a deadline, has taught me so much.
    Could not have done it without the help I received here. The drawing is under review pending approval but looks great.

This discussion has been closed.