Sweep cut

fredericklim
edited January 2018 in 3D Modeling

It is not possible to do sweep cut in BricsCAD?

For instance, I cannot find a way to do the same like F360.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/getting-started/caas/screencast/Main/Details/4aab276a-17a0-4ca0-a841-56cea9bca383.html

Comments

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited January 2018

To cut through a solid using a closed 2D entity lying on the face of a solid use the DmExtrude command. By default the cut is perpendicular to the face of the solid. Use the 'Set Direction' option to define the direction. The options are: 2 Points / Xaxis / Yaxis / Zaxis. To learn the other options of the DmExtrude command see the BricsCAD Help under Command Reference / Direct Modeling / DmExtrude.

• @Louis Verdonck

I have another use case that the sweep cut is required to determine by distance and orientation, but I cannot figure out how to do that in BricsCAD.

• @fredericklim:
    If the path is not straight you can use the _Sweep command to create a solid that can then be subtracted. Please look at the options of the _Sweep command.

• ... Looking at the watch model I believe a different solution is possible:

1. Create an oversized box that matches the position and width of the reddish volume.
    2. Subtract a cylinder from the box.
    3. Subtract the resulting volume from the main model.

But perhaps the most efficient solution is to create a single separate lug to the correct size, then create 3 copies and finally _Union the four lugs to the main body of the watch.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    But perhaps the most efficient solution is to create a single separate lug to the correct size, then create 3 copies and finally _Union the four lugs to the main body of the watch.

That is one of the method I have used before, model the lug separately, mirror and combine in F360. But even that I still use sweep cut in some places, for instance a round border of the watch with a sweep. I wish BricsCAD sweep and extrude features on par with F360, like 2 side extrude. And improve drafting as well like auto constraint.

I feel that BricsCAD is more keen on architect and mechanical engineer but not product designer, or maybe I am still unfamiliar the BricsCAD way.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    @fredericklim:
    If the path is not straight you can use the _Sweep command to create a solid that can then be subtracted. Please look at the options of the _Sweep command.

Ah I see. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.