Different behaviour in dimensioning with BricsCAD and AutoCAD

Hi all,
during my tests with BricsCAD i have noticed a difference in creating dimensions with BricsCAD and AutoCAD.

It's about the display of the dimension text while dragging a dimension to specify the text insertion point.
Example: _DIMLINEAR
When the 2 base points are specified the dimesion text is displayed and can be dragged.
In AutoCAD i can control the dimesion text in this stage to set 'DIMDEC to a appropriate value and the text of the just dragged dimesion respects my transparent changes in DIMDEC.
In BricsCAD the transparent change of DIMDEC is ignored.
In AutoCAD i have provided some toolbar buttons to set the desired number of digits via 'DIMDEC to edit a dimension just being dragged.

This is probably a unusual workflow, but in our daily work we have to change the value of DIMDEC very frequently during dimensioning.
A typical situation: dimensioning a rather small but complex part.
Customers fact sheets require to adjust the number of digits in a dimension to 3 or 4 (standard value is 2) in order to specify precision and the according manufacturing process (i.e. wire edm or precision grinding).
When there's not much space for a large number of dimensions it's absolutely helpful to be able to expand the dimension text to it's final length while dragging it.
So we can better see where's enough space to place the dimension.
Surely, many might give the advice to set the number of digits before starting the dimension command.
This is what we try to do, but we're all humans and so we end up with numerous situations where a designer forgets to adjust the number of digits in advance.

So i frankly ask about changing BricsCAD's behaviour to operate like AutoCAD in this workflow.

Kind regards,
Richard

Comments

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!