BIM Doors

Lorenzo
edited January 2018 in BricsCAD BIM

Hallo everybody,

im very new to BricsCAD and BIM and I am testing the software because my company is planning to migrate from AutoCAD. I am now starting to learn by myself how to build a BIM Model using the video tutorial from BricsCAD.
https://forum.bricsys.com/uploads/Uploader/fe/33ea4da1d1760cb62f8c4df3345891.jpg

Im now trying to add doors to the model and I have a "problem", if I place them at the base of the wall, the heated floor will cross the frame and the leaf while if I place them on the heated floor the wall wont be cut under the door.

https://forum.bricsys.com/uploads/Uploader/fd/29c466ed11f5345222fe87d9c00ab7.jpg

I am using the standard door "Door_SingleSwing_1" found in BricsCAD library and I have tried to understand how to extend the subtract volume by a given distance (Variable = HeatedFloor) but I didn't manage to find a way to do it.
Could somebody kindly help me?

Thankyou very much,
Lorenzo

PS: if you see anything that I could correct or optimize please feel free to tell me :)

Comments

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2018

I am also interested.

Doors and the finish floor package are always a bit problematic.
    In my previous CAD I would have 2 Slabs. A Structural Slab +
    the Finish Floor Package in each Room.
    Structural Slab runs through the whole Building, Floor Slabs differ
    depending on Rooms.
    So the Door goes down to top of structural and the missing floor
    between the Wall ends is part of the Door or added separately.

But I think the recommended way in Bricscad is to use a single Slab
    (or Wall) entities in combination with a multi ply composition.

Normally you want to bring in the floor from the opposite side of the
    Door opening direction.
    And the door frame normally goes down to top of structure (?)

I think the given Doors and Windows are kind of templates and you
    should be able to create nearly any kind of element, once you
    understood how to use the constraints.
    There was an older tutorial on how Windows are created and how
    they work.

• Hi Lorenzo and Michael
    In attachment I add a modified model of the Door_SingleSwing_1. A second subtractor has been added here, which is controlled by the door height and a new parameter: 'FloorThickness'. The value of this parameter = 0.
    The procedure to model is as follows:
    1. Create all solids: walls sit on top of the floor slabs.
    2. Insert the interior doors: bottom offset = 0. The value of the FloorThickness parameter = 0.
    3. Assign a composition to the slab(s) and walls.
    4. Select all doors (which is easily done in the Structure panel) and set the value of the FloorThickness parameter to the thickness of the finishing layers (everything above the structural layer) or higher.
    5. Set the Display Composition property of all floor and wall solids to ON (again use the Structure panel to select the solids).
    6. Define a vertical section which cuts through an interior wall; the Clip Display of this section must be Yes.
    7. Use BimDrag to connect the bottom face of the sectioned interior wall to the top face of the structural layer of the floor slab. To achieve this the value of SELECTIONMODES = 2 or 6 (select faces or faces+detect boundaries) .
    8. Use BIMSUGGEST to apply the connection to all interior walls using the same composition in the model.
    The finishing layers of the floor slab now continue at the doors from one room to another and are cut by the interior walls.
    Regards
    Louis

• Hello Louis,

thankyou very much, I have tried that and with the composition it works as I needed. Would that be possible to solve that without using compositions? Maybe is me not yet being in the BIM / BricsCAD mentality, but I like to have a continuous slab for the whole building and than separates Floors Objects for every apartments or ambient. This is also easily doable through the "detect boundaries" option.
    I can still apply compositions to those two floor object but I feel I habe better control over the floors.
    Im also a bit skeptical about having to manually drag all the walls to the structural slab, or in general pushing/pulling only compositions to make them match with the structure.

I have the feeling that at the office we dont necessarly need to go so much in details to show all the layers of the floors and walls as compositions. For instance we already did some competitions where we had to also submit a simple BIM model for calculation, there we basically only had objects without any kind of compositions, we also didnt had time to deal with that.

Thankyou very much for your precious help, have a nice weekend,
    Lorenzo

• Michael Mayer
    edited January 2018

I also still think separation of overall structural slab + finish floor slab
    filled into each room is mostly useful.

That's also a topic for my BIM Basic Modeling Thread.
    How is it recommended to model different floor packages per Story
    in Bricscad ?

Beside cutting a single slab entity into several pieces for each finish floor type
    to allow multiple compositions, is there maybe thought to add some control
    by the Space Objects ?

This discussion has been closed.