EXCEL linked to Autocad DATALINKS

I have an AutoCAD ver 2017 drawing in which I have a couple Excel spreadsheets Datalinked. I like this because it allows me to update the drawing based spreadsheet then to a datalinkupdate to the original. I can modify the spreadsheet and it automagically tells me in the drawing it has changed. Just like xref for the drawings...

I have saveas'd this drawing to my Bricscad "area of work" and want to continue to update these but have not quite found a way to keep the connection to the original spreadsheets.
In AutoCAD one can use the command datalink and insert a .xlsx and then modify the spreadsheet in AutoCAD then datalinkupdate back to the source spreadsheet... I've not found that ability yet.
Can this be done?

Carl

Comments

• Ok, even tho I haven't found a way to save my current autocad drawings and keep the spreadsheet link, I have found out about INSERT|Objects and like the way Bricscad handles externally linked spreadsheets. However, my project require the linked spreadsheets be line entities and I can do that in AutoCAD but haven't found a way yet in BricsCAD....

• If you were to consider third party software, take a look at XL2CAD for BricsCAD.

• Steven_g
    edited January 2018

I've only found it from the menu options, insert tab and choose insert object, this opens a dialogue and you can choose from a list of document types (same as in autocad) if you choose to create from file, it will let you browse to an existing excel file, there is also an option to link. I've only done a quick test trial on it but it opened the excel file as a linked ole object, double clicking on that in Bricscad opens the excel file where it can be edited and changes are shown in Bricscad. When both documents are closed and the excel file updated, it doesn't update when you open the drawing again untill you double click on the ole object again in Bricscad. I haven't found an option to update data link yet but running an 'updatedatalink' command or double clicking isn't much more work.

EDIT - I found the olelinks command (again only in the menubar under edit "links") but this doesn't appear to work, when you pick the file and choose update nothing happens, choosing open source opens the excel file and does update the contents.

• Terry Dotson,
    The XL2CAD looks like a great solution, tho at $125 I'll have to wait until my company buys BricsCAD 1st. lol

Steven_g,
    You have the exact experience I have noted. the OLE object excel insert in my drawing works great and I have no problem with it, BUT... it is my Engineer who cant stand the look of it and wants it to be line and text entities, AutoCAD does this well and so does the above mentioned XL2CAD.
    It's one of those preference issues... lol

Carl

This discussion has been closed.