Modeling timber frame structures

I'm looking at tackling Bricsys' BIM...I've been through tutorials and looked about but cannot see any information that relates to how to describe subframe components. You will instantly see that I'm VERY new to all of this. I can see how to create nice poly solids that describe finished surfaces and attachments and even "ply" arrangements but I cannot see where Bricscad leaves off and BIM begins. Let's say I'm not working with concrete slabs, but timber or metal frame. What's my workflow? Do I describe the basic design in BIM and then go back to Bricscad to "fill in" the wall's internals? My deepest apologies to the professionals on the forum--I have had a good look before bothering you with a new thread.

Comments

• Tom Foster
    edited February 2018

Good question - general good practice suggestions?

It's easy to create a 'continuous shell' complete with Composition layers, as if it's continuous reinf conc, or effectively continuous block/brickwork - but how best to then mess that up by adding all the numerous bits of framing that lie within say a stud- or rafter-work layer of the Composition? And have them interrupt the insulation or whatever the continuous Composition layer is made of. It's readily do-able but there must be hard and easy ways to approach it.

This discussion has been closed.