Pan Settings in 3D?

Haven't been into the 3D for a while but today returned to a drawing & noticed that while panning it looks like a kind of orbit.
The view (in model space) is moving about a distant point. Not panning as a flat view.
Is there a setting for that behavior?
I seem to remember having that issue some time back but can't remember the fix.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sounds like the behavior when perspective view mode is On?

• That is exactly it.
    What would turn on that perspective setting, do you know?

I did update Bricscad but I do not directly set perspective mode.

• Do you mean to simply traverse the present image on the screen, without altering its perspective, but also maybe able to zoom in? Just like walking past a 2D painting on the wall, maybe moving closer? That I would find very valuable but AIUI Hans has previously said that's a big tech challenge.

• See an attached movie of the problem.

Note that setting perspective OFF solved my issue.

• Hi Tom,
    as far as I remember the challenge I mentioned boiled down to positioning of images (or textures) in a scene and warping/morphing them so you get a kind of google-street-view-model to navigate through.

If the ability to simulate "Walking past a 2D painting on a wall" is of interest to you, I think that the NAVIGATE command (introduced in V18) makes that very easy. Navigate till you are 'standing' in front of the painting, looking at it, and then press the right or left arrows to move sideways, the experience will be as if you were walking along the wall looking at the painting sideways over your shoulder.

When giving the Navigate command a try in some model, remember to right-click to bring up the Navigate settings dialog and set a step size of approx. 100 mm or 4 inch, and approx. 20 steps per second. These settings are saved in the drawing . If you never used navigate before in a drawing, chances are that these settings will not have optimal values.

• Tom Foster
    edited February 2018

Wow Hans, I think we were at cross purposes - the latter (Navigate) is what I was after.

It was for the new Match Photo facility, where a 3D model can be rotated and scaled and 'focal length' adjusted so that it perfectly matches and 'drops onto' a photo, which is on screen as 'background' (rather than as an attachment). Having done that in other softwares I desperately wanted to pan/zoom in on the combined model+photo just to see it bigger (like getting closer to a 2D painting) so i could work on it, without disturbing the perspective/alignment in any way.

I was v disappointed to find that (apparently) this was not poss in Brics either. Glad I was wrong.

One thing in Sketchup (which works in a different, or alternative way), it's poss to move around incl messing up the perspective/alignment, so the backround photo (which can't rotate to match the model) just disappears - but then with one click it snaps back to the remembered perspective/alignment and the photo reappears. That wd be cool in Brics. In Microstation AFAIK neither thing is possible.

Again AFAIK BricsCAD's Match Photo is the first time this can be done in dwg.

This discussion has been closed.