Add data to 3d solids

I am trying to find out how to add data to a 3d solid in bricscad that will then show in the properties box in Navisworks.

I have used Navisworks models created from dwg files that when an object is selected in the Navis model, data is shown in the properties box, e.g. manufacturer, size, issued etc. however I do not know how it is done.

I know the data can be added in Navisworks but the preference is to add the data at the source i.e. Bricscad.

It may be possible in the BIM add-on but I am happy with the platinum version I already have and I don't want to upgrade.

Has anyone had any experience in this area?

Thx

Comments

• crpt2008
    edited February 2018

Hi Ian Johnson
    I'm not sure see if this works for you. ;)

File--> drawing properties...
    Parameters can be added at will. Those parameters can also be used in BOM, fields, etc.

Edit: Material, description, can be added trough mechanical browser.

• Hi crp2008,

thanks for the reply.

I have added data as you suggested. How do I view that data when I insert the component into a model?

thx

• @Ian Johnson:
    There are a number of ways to attach data to objects. Can you post an example dwg where a solid has such data?

• crpt2008
    edited February 2018

Hi Ian Johnson
    Just like Roy said there's several ways to do it.
    But for starters please have a look at "fields" might give some light on the subject.
    Other "properties" can be added on custom and added to tables, etc.

Example: I use fields to pull file properties, to fill up the format block with title, subject, etc. ;-)

• Roy,
    I am wanting to add data to the solid so I am not able to post a sample dwg with data attached.

• Ian
    Something like this?

• @Ian Johnson:
    Does the data you attach in NW survive 'round-tripping' (Export from NW to dwg and then import again)?

• Roy, that's the problem. I don't know how to attach the data to the solid.

Attached is a snap of a NW model which has been produced from an ACAD model and there is a tab with information related to a part in the model.

I have deduced that you have to attach data to the cad model, export that data to a spreadsheet and then open the model in NW and import the data from the spreadsheet into NW. Then the NW model can be published and the data is permanently linked to the part. The NW model can be sent to the client and they are able to obtain the relevant information from the NW model.

At this stage I am only interested in attaching the data in Bricscad and sending to a spreadsheet. I am sure there is more obstacles to overcome when I try to import into NW but I will get the first part sorted before I look into NW.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thx

• Without some concrete information it is almost impossible to help.
    But it seems you need an Excel file for the data. See here.

• It appears the secret is XDATA.
    The common link between Bricscad and NW is the entity handle.
    Group code 5 from a selected entity in Bricscad seems to transfer through to a NW tab so by attaching xdata to that entity and then writing that data out to a file with the first column being the entity handle I should be able to proceed to the next stage which is getting NW to read that file in using the entity handle.

• Xdata may not be the answer:

Custom Properties to show in Navisworks:

Not directly. XDATA and XRecord contents aren't read by Navisworks, and custom property creation is only through the COM bridge at the moment. Its very slow over even modest sized data sets.

Block properties in Quantification:

Simple Block Attributes (and programmatic Xdata) of Autocad are not supported in Navisworks. We have been asking this basic support of DWG properties for years, without any result.

This discussion has been closed.