DIMTMOVE ???

Im puzzeled why can I set dim-settings in settings that override the dim-settings in the dimstyles.
I have a guy that changed dimtmove in one drawing and this affects ALL dimensions new or old even though the dimstyle is different.
Took me some time to figure out why this happened as the dims created flipped to "move text,no leader" with the dimstyle set to "keep dimline with text".

Comments

• The fact that dim overrides are possible is a feature of the software. But, contrary to what you seem to suggest, an override will not affect existing dimension.

• Actually I like the override for single options BUT i think that new creations should follow the dimstyle. Otherwise you may scrap the whole dimstyle idea. I think its great that you can alter a dim with overrides afterwards. Maybe it would be OK if these overrides would stay with the user for creation and not follow the drawing. Now its like every user made their own dimstyle that tells how they want to create. I may have multiple users doing different things at different times in the same model. When the next user arrives he finds himself in a strange setup that he is not used to. Also I would appreciate a ( maybe red text) note in the propbar is there is an override.
    Cheers

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    But, contrary to what you seem to suggest, an override will not affect existing dimension.

Sorry, I am a 2D dummy.
    Did I get that right that if I have already made some Dimensions by a Style
    in my drawing and change the Style afterwards, the Dimensions won't change ?

Isn't that the meaning of a "Style"

• In the latest BricsCAD update (V18.2) the AiDimstyle command allows to create a new dimension style based on the properties of a selected dimension.

• @Patrik Sparrman:
    Instruct your drafters to use the Properties Bar to apply overrides.

@Michael Mayer:
    You have misunderstood.

• Sorry also my mistake. No old stuff is not affected. The problem is that you start creating dims that are not in line with your style and you have to check your setting in 2 places. Whats the use of a style if its overridden by other ( same ) settings in another place. The override applies to all styles you choose. I definitely will instruct them but still think it an odd feature.

• @Michael Mayer
    You are right but one of my users typed "DIMTMOVE" and set it to 2. This means that you "hard" set all dims produced after this with your changed override feature no matter what style you choose. This is not the only setting that can be changed this way. By changing a couple of settings like this you may as well skip the styles as they don't apply. You can reset the dimensions by choosing them changing style and then changing back.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    @Michael Mayer:
    You have misunderstood.

OK.
    Good.

Will come back the next time again when I play with these.

This discussion has been closed.