Completely new at this!!

Hi, I've used other drawing software but never Bricscad (or Autocad). I want to draw some simple architectural drawing for a garage I want to build (for eventual submission to the planing authorities - so ultimately they need to be to scale). The reviews I've read suggest Bricscad is the software for me. I have the latest trial version of Bricscad running on my mac. I want to get started in the right direction and would appreciate any advice/direction and relevant tutorials to watch. Thanks in advance. Richie

Comments

• Michael Mayer
    edited March 2018

The Shape Tutorial Videos give a great overview of 3D Modeling
    in Shape Bricscad :
    https://www.bricsys.com/en-intl/shape/learn/

Generally on :
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bricsys
    you will find a lot of information.
    For detailed questions on how to do things the Bricscad way I would
    search in Ralph Grabowski's PDF eBooks :
    https://www.bricsys.com/en-intl/documentation/
    and of course Bricscad's documentation.

The general recommendation for a final workflow is :
    to model a 3D BIM model and let it generate 90% of your 2D drawings.
    The 10% rest may need to be added manually in annotation space.
    Until being familiar with Bricscad and BIM or have an urgent project with
    tight deadlines, it is also legitimate to use just Bricscad's 2D tools and draw
    your plans manually, like it was done a until decade ago.
    Some architectural offices use CAD still exclusively 2D, most may use a
    certain mixture of both 2D, 3D and/or BIM.

• @richiep said:
    Hi, I've used other drawing software but never Bricscad (or Autocad). I want to draw some simple architectural drawing for a garage I want to build (for eventual submission to the planing authorities - so ultimately they need to be to scale).

That last sentence troubles me, but am ignorant of your location.
    Here any old Joe Blow could NOT draw even a simple plan like you describe and submit to a planning authority (gulp).

Do you know if that's possible?
    Some (a few) designers here happy to accept a cad file (dwg) to work with.

Not wanting to dampen your zeal.

As to Bricscad, I've learnt by diving in, trial and error and the exceptional help here (thanks all) and still learning.
    It's a great program.

• @Richard Sands said:

@richiep said:
    Hi, I've used other drawing software but never Bricscad (or Autocad). I want to draw some simple architectural drawing for a garage I want to build (for eventual submission to the planing authorities - so ultimately they need to be to scale).

That last sentence troubles me, but am ignorant of your location.
    Here any old Joe Blow could NOT draw even a simple plan like you describe and submit to a planning authority (gulp).

Why ever not, things may have changed there now, but I used to draw up submission plans in the UK (many years ago 30+ and then on paper), from what I remember all the rules and regulations where laid out in easily accessable and understandable documents and it was normal procedure to submit your own plans for things like garages and home extensions, the information had to be correct of course, but you could even go to the local council offices and ask advice or even sample drawings. I would imagine it is even easier now with the internet, but I could be wrong.

• @Steven_g That's excellent if you can, as mentioned, I'm not familiar with the posters circumstances.
    Here we can't. Once we could. I drew plans for 2 houses I built. Not any more.
    It's frustratingingly silly as only certified, qualified, people can submit Site Plans but those same people can't survey. So I do the surveying, draw the plan, with boundaries and they submit it as their work!

I didn't want the poor person getting excited about their newfound Cad talents only to have cold water thrown over it by a bod at a counter denying his plans.

• Yeah it differs between countries, I did try years ago in Holland and the council kept refusing to pass the plans eventually, I found someone who knew the system he took my plans put a brickwork hatch on the elevations got the plans passed and charged me a fortune for doing it.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!