removing 3d fillets or chamfers.

fatguy
edited March 2018 in 3D Modeling

How does one remove the fillets on a solid after the undo button is no longer an option? (I've included a solid that I purposely made the fillets .3125" instead of .03125", and then saved it) Would removing chamfers be the same? Thanks, in advance, for any help.
-Nik

Comments

• Change the radius or just delete the fillets?

If you want to change the radius then select the applicable fillet faces and apply the Push/Pull tool from the Quad. Done.

Similarly, to delete the fillet(s) select the face(s) and choose Delete from the Quad.

Delete works with chamfer faces as well, as does Push/Pull, although chamfers sharing an edge may not behave in an intuitive fashion.

• I can't thank you enough for your patience and help. I'd like to delete the fillets entirely. I did try to select the fillet surfaces and then delete (the same way as you showed me to get rid of the holes in that block)but, instead of "restoring " the solid, the delete command just deleted it as though I had exploded the model, and it was deleting a surface. Did you, by chance, try and do it on the model I uploaded in my OP?

• Yes -- video attached (please forgive my not-so-leet video skilz ;-) I'm running the current release of V18, which may be the difference. If that's the case, ensure that you're at least on the latest release of your current licensed version. Older version downloads are available off of the Download link on the main page.

• fatguy
    edited March 2018
    The video is great! I'm not at my computer, so I just watched it on my phone. I'll try again when I get home. If I don't succeed, I'll try showing what happens by making my own video.
  • It worked!!!

• Be one with the Quad, Grasshopper!

• Most definitely. It seems that I wasn't careful enough when I was selecting the surfaces. I think I must have inadvertently selected an edge or two, and BricsCad did not like that!

• Using the Model/Smart Selection/Same Radius Fillets command made even shorter work of this! Thanks again, Richard Webb!

• I was wondering if you can use the _DmSelect command to select a 'ring of faces' around a selected face. It would speed up what Richard is doing in his video. I'll have to study the command some more because right now I certainly do not understand it.

• I think that's exactly what I did in my video. If you haven't looked at it, please do. Let me know if that's what you meant. I honestly couldn't see it being any easier than what I did. 5 or 6 clicks, and done :smile:

• @fatguy:
    In your video you are selecting all cylindrical and spherical faces with the same radius. Whereas Richard is only selecting the faces that surround the top face. I was wondering if the _DmSelect command can be used to accomplish that:

1. (Pre)select a single source face
    2. DmSelect?
    3. Result: All faces that touch the source face are selected.
  • @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    @fatguy:
    In your video you are selecting all cylindrical and spherical faces with the same radius. Whereas Richard is only selecting the faces that surround the top face. I was wondering if the _DmSelect command can be used to accomplish that:

2. DmSelect?

You're absolutely correct. I tried doing that on an actual part and it selected far more than I wanted it to. I used Richards method and it worked perfectly.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    @fatguy:

2. DmSelect?

@Roy, I haven't quite wrapped my mind around _dmselect and all of its permutations. In the present case, it does work well to select all faces with the same radius, so changing (or deleting) all of the fillets at once is quite easy.

What would be nice would be if I could, for example, select a few fillet faces around a perimeter and have _dmselect be able to infer which additional faces would make up the rest of that loop.

I think that capability may actually exist in the current release. I just haven't quite worked out how to convince it to happen. ;-)

• Dear gentlemen,

I'm one of the Bricsys developers and visit forums often, sometimes learning smth new for myself, sometimes amazing how user community helps each other, sometimes helping.

Being in the development of DmSelect, I couldn't just pass by. Here we can try a 'hack" and try to detect protrusion or depression. In fact, these instruments are used to detect extra volume or cut out, but here depression detection works perfectly, see video.

Idea to select faces adjacent to given one looks good, I like it. Please open SR in order I could protect it - help me and we will help you :) That is nothing about bureacracy - we have limited team for developers, plans and goals to reach. In order to insert some idea in-between, we need formal motivation. Plus if user posts SR after such offer it means that he worths his idea enough :)

Returning to the beginning: this forum is the case when silence (or not silience) from developers doesn't mean that you were not read or understood. We are here: reading, trying your models, thinking. But SR is primary for your problems. Collaborate!

Best regards,
    Egor ERMOLIN

• Hello Richard and Roy,

You have proposed expand DmSelect with new option to select faces adjacent for given one. As we see, user scenario from this post can be solved by Model/Smart Selection/Same Radius Fillets or, as it was proposed during discussions inside the team, i.e. by window selection of specific faces.

Do you see some other benefits for selection of adjacent faces? Can you provide some user scenarios for it? If so, are you ready to open SR? :o)

Best regards,
    Egor

• V17 works just fine for this. You just have to remove the filets and chamfers in some sort of logical sequence. I invoked the "erase" command, then selected the corners, where the edge fillets meet. Once I deleted those, I was able to select and delete the edge fillets.. Finally, I I removed the chamfers. If you delete an edge fillet before the corner the program gets stumped. It doesn't know how to do it.

The Real Time Motion tool "rtrot" is a big help in selecting multiple fillets.

This discussion has been closed.