Move entities to another layer

Hi, I wonder how I can change some selected entities to another layer. This easy to do with a few new lines, but it is more difficult in excisting drawings. I can change the layer-information in properties, but it seems that the entities are not moved to this other layer.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• When you select a layer, by using the Layer pull-down list in the Properties panel or in the Entity Properties bar, then any selected objects are put on that layer.

If no objects are selected when you do that, then the selected layer becomes the active layer, on which newly-created objects are to be placed as they are created.

If the selected objects are on a locked layer, they are not moved to the selected layer, and an error message pops up to explain why not.

• Thanks for info! No Layer was locked of frozen, but an error message appeared anyway. After a while another strange situation appeared; All the ca 50 layers where switched off. I wanted to switch on two layers, but only one of those two can be visual?
    Originally, there where two buiding 2D-Autdesk-dwg's merged into each other. This merged result was modified in pConplanner software. And I opened this result in BricsCAD. Maybe that this route is not a stable one?
    There is a separate 'paper' underneath, besides model etc, called pConplanner etc. Maybe that this causes errors as well?
    Hope that my reply makes some sense ...

• That sounds strange.
    Is it only with a special file and works in a blank test file ?

Any Plugins used ?
    OS, Bricscad Version ?

So far for me it always worked as Anthony described.

BTW
    In Bricscad Shape you can change Object's Layers from the
    dropdown in Quad/RolloverTips.
    So I think this will find its way into Bricscad soon too.

• @Jaap Please file a support request and attach the drawing you are having this issue with. Our analysts will be glad to investigate what might go wrong there.
    @Michalel: This is also possible in the current BricsCAD V18 if Rollover Tips is active (whether the Quad is On or OFF is of no importance). Hover over an entity or compose a selection set then place the cursor over one of the selected entities. Select the Layer property and click on the down-arrow button to choose the destination layer .

• Indeed,
    it even works on my V18.1 for Mac.
    I thought this would be a V18.2 Feature ....

• Jaap
    edited May 2018

I've attached a file in wich layer-25-Metaalconstructiewerk and layer-Import-Bruggen-Kaatsers-uit-W130, seems to react sort of strange. All the content of layer 25 Metaalconstructiewerk should be in the other layer. Together they meet the required content, to be placed in layer-Bruggen-Kaatsers-uit-W130
    I recently bought BricsCAD classic Version 18.2.08 (x64) revision 53663
    I'm probably not touching the right button somewhere?

• @Jaap:
    There are a number of block references (=inserts) on layer "Import PZ Bruggen en Kaatsers uit W130" where the block definition contains entities on layer "25_Metaalconstructiewerk". These are the cause of your confusion.

There is an essential difference between turning a layer OFF and FREEZING a layer.

Turning a layer OFF means entities on that layer no longer display but they can still be selected and manipulated. And the content of blocks Inserted on that layer remains visible if nested items are on a layer that is ON and THAWED.

FREEZING a layer means the layer becomes invisible, entities on that layer can no longer be selected or manipulated and Inserts on that layer are completely invisible.

BTW:
    If you run the _Audit command you will find more than 30 errors but these are not related to this layer issue.

• Thanks for all the info!
    Using/handling inserted blocks with some content in it, seems quite difficult. But merging layers is a solution for me so far.

This discussion has been closed.