Can I redefine a block?

I know this should happen when you have edited a block and said yes to the option to redefine existing blocks. However even though I selected to redefine the existing blocks, I now have multiple blocks in my drawing with the same name but are different! it doesn't seem to be redefining the other blocks in the existing drawing!
I've tried re-inserting the block but it just puts the new version of the block in but doesn't affect the old versions!

Comments

• It is not possible that a block has different representations in the same drawing. Can you send in a support request and add a drawing you have this issue with?

• Hello Louis,
    Sorry for the delay getting back to you been busy. I can't send you the original drawing as it is confidential, however I've recreated the issue in a blank drawing. The zip contains 3 snips showing multiple copies of the same block, I modified the first one and said yes to redefining the rest. As you can see that didn't happen! The copies remained the same as the original, the difference being a different amount of attributes.
    The zip contains 3 snips of the drawing with the different blocks selected and showing the properties and the drawing itself.

• Thats because the block contains attributes, existing block attributes won't be altered untill you use either attsync or battman, this is by design because running those commands will remove the existing data from those old blocks and that might not be your intention

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited June 2018

If you want the editing of a text inside a block to cause all insertions of the block to change, you should use a Text or Mtext entity instead of an Attribute entity.

In the attached file, I Bursted your block, then redefined it as a new block (on the right). In the new block, the texts are Text entities, so editing the text in one insertion will affect all the insertions.

The Burst command automatically converts Attributes to Texts.

• Thanks for the info, I thought the attsync was used to syncronise the contents of the attribute and not the attributes themselves. I want the blocks to contain attributes so that when I insert the block it asks me to put in the values each time, and I can extract the data at a later point.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited June 2018

Do you know which insertions of the block you want to be able to synchronize in that way? If so, you could nest an insertion of the block, with the attribute values set, inside another block, and use that new block in those locations.
    When you insert the new block, it won't prompt you for attribute values; but you won't want to set them anyway since they're already set. And when you edit the nested block inside one insertion of the new block, then all the others will change without needing Attsync.

• I simply wanted as a one off edit to add more attributes to a block in order to store more data with the block. I then needed to update the existing blocks within my drawings so they all had the same amount of attributes. After editing the block and adding the extra attributes Bricscad asked if I would like to update existing blocks, I selected yes, but the blocks already in the drawing didn't change!

This discussion has been closed.