Can't extrude through multiple bodies in assembly

Hello everyone,

I have a problem when trying to edit a assembly that was imported from a step file.

I want to extrude a hole through multiple bodies in the assembly, I can't even change the ucs to sketch on the face I want to draw a circle on. What I can do is take over geometry and extrude it, but if I try to subtract the body nothing happens.

A way to work around this is just to dissolve the assembly. This turns the assembly into a single part with multiple bodies. At that point I have full functionality and can draw and extrude everything that I want. But now I have lost all my assembly information.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to edit an assembly without throwing away the mechanical structure?

With Kind regards,

Robert van der Veen

Comments

• Hi Robert
    Please file a support request and add the model and if possible also the step file. Our analysts will be glad to look into this and try to help you out.

• Hello Louis,
    I will do that, the step file is not the problem. It happens with imported step files and assemblies I have drawn myself.

With kind regards,

Robert van der Veen

• RSW
    RSW
    edited July 2018

@Robert said:
    Hello Louis,
    I will do that, the step file is not the problem. It happens with imported step files and assemblies I have drawn myself.

I'm running into the same thing with parametric objects in assemblies. The parametric object was created in Bricscad and then imported into an assembly file. It is not possible to put a hole into the parametric object unless it is dissolved. This is just a single object, not even multiple objects, so it seems something with the parametric 3D object prevents extruded cutouts.

I do get something that looks like a small dent, and the extruded cut object is in the drawing, but the opening is just not there in the parametric 3D object.

It would be nice if holes could be put in after assembly as some holes cannot be predefined into the parts at times but need to be drilled after putting the parts together, so they should not show in the part details/documentation.

• Robert
    edited July 2018

I made a support request about this, here is the response I got:

Robert van der Veen
    07-06-2018 06:18 UTC

Hello everyone,

I have a problem when trying to edit a assembly that was imported from a step file.

I want to extrude a hole through multiple bodies in the assembly, I can't even change the ucs to sketch on the face I want to draw a circle on. What I can do is take over geometry and extrude it, but if I try to subtract the body nothing happens. (I have attached a step file, but it happens with every kind of assembly i try)

A way to work around this is just to dissolve the assembly. This turns the assembly into a single part with multiple bodies. At that point I have full functionality and can draw and extrude everything that I want. But now I have lost all my assembly information.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to edit parts in an assembly without throwing away the mechanical structure?

With Kind regards,

Robert van der Veen

Ilya Tatarnikov
    07-06-2018 09:23 UTC

Hello Robert,

Your workflow is correct, but unfortunately, at the moment such editing is not possible. We have in our plans the development of "in context" editing.
    Dissolve the components. Make the edits (punch holes through). Then 'Form Component' is the only way for now.

best regards
    Ilya Tatarnikov

No the answer I was hoping for, but the are working on it.

With kind regards,

Robert van der Veen

• RSW
    RSW
    edited July 2018

@Robert Thanks for sharing the reply from support, I'll try it out but it is good to know there is some workaround and that they are working on it.

Assuming you have already tried this workaround, do 3D constraints/parameters have to be reapplied in full or will most of them be restored somehow? (I suspect it has to be reapplied in full but I might be wrong if the dissolve and form component directly after the edits do maintain some kind of "temporary memory" for the constraints/parameters).

• @RSW

No I have not tried it with components with parameters, but in the end I just add the hole manually through all the parts.
    Dissolving all the components and then creating them again is a lot of work.

• Dissolving components has the disadvantage that it loses the 3D parametrics in the process.
    The problem remains that some holes have to be made after assembly of the parts, so a way to add holes to parts within the (sub)assembly is welcome. I'll file a support request later this week with a request for this.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!