Freezing and Turning Off Layers in Paperspace

Hi Guys,
Is there a way I can Freeze or Turn Off layers in Paper space without any alterations to the main drawing on Model Space. I know i can use the VP Freeze on Layers palette but is there a tool I could use for that instead of going through each layer and checking if or if not it is needed in the drawing. I use multiple Xrefs and a tool would be great to speed up setting up drawings in PS ready to plot. Thanks.

Comments

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited June 2018

It sounds like layer states is what you're looking for:

• You can turn layers on or off and then save that arrangement as a layer state.
    • You can import a layer state into another dwg file.
    • If you restore a layer state while in model space, it affects visibility in all spaces.
    • If you restore a layer state while in a viewport, visibility in model space and in other viewports is not affected, and the off layers become frozen in that viewport, and they stay frozen in that viewport no matter what you do elsewhere.
  • @Anthony Apostolaros said:
    It sounds like layer states is what you're looking for:

• You can turn layers on or off and then save that arrangement as a layer state.
    • You can import a layer state into another dwg file.
    • If you restore a layer state while in model space, it affects visibility in all spaces.
    • If you restore a layer state while in a viewport, visibility in model space and in other viewports is not affected, and the off layers become frozen in that viewport, and they stay frozen in that viewport no matter what you do elsewhere.

Thanks for that Anthony.
    Sorry, I think I wasn't too clear with my explanation.
    Is there a tool I can use to freeze and turn-off layers in the viewport without affecting the drawing on MS. Currently we turn-off and freeze layers in Vp's using the VP Freeze column in the Layer's Palette. Something that I can use to just click on entities I want frozen and turned off within VP's to.
    I think it could be called a "VIEWPORT FREEZE TOOL".
    Hope I am making sense this time.

• Ah,
    did I get that right ?

In Bricscad, Viewports on Paper Space don't have separate Layer Settings ?

• Louis_Verdonck
    edited June 2018

The LAYFRZ command allows to freeze layers in the current viewport without affecting model space or other viewports.
    Double click inside the paperspace viewport
    Launch the LAYFRZ command. Choose Settings.
    Choose Viewports
    Choose VpFreeze
    Click an entity on each layer you want to freeze in the current viewport.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited June 2018

Teti,

I think I did understand what you wanted. What I suggested above is the easiest way to do that without custom commands. It doesn't involve checking boxes in the Layers palette.

1. With all layers on and thawed, use the LAYERSTATE command to open the Drawing Explorer and create a default layer state, LS1 (use the New icon to the left of the red X). Then use the Esc key or the Close icon to close the Drawing Explorer.
    2. Use LAYOFF or LAYFRZ to turn off or freeze the target layers by clicking on objects on those layers.
    3. Save that set of off or frozen layers by creating another layer state, say LS2.
    4. While not inside any viewport, use the pull-down box just to the right of the lineweight control box to restore LS1.
    5. Restore LS2 while inside the target viewport. That will make all the target layers viewport-frozen in that viewport, but it won't affect layer visibility in modelspace or in other viewports. And they'll stay vp-frozen in that viewport no matter what you do later in modelspace or in other viewports.
    6. Do more viewports in the same way. One pull-down click for each viewport.
    7. Transfer the system to another dwg file by importing the layer states (the icon with the little green arrow to the left).

It's a difficult thing to understand before using it. Restoring a layer state in a viewport doesn't do what you would expect; but it does something much better. If you try it as I described I think you'll find that it does what you want.

I don't know of a command that does vp-freeze directly by clicking on an object on that layer while in the viewport, but you could certainly create a custom command like that using lisp. Someone may have already done it. Ask at The Swamp or other forum sites. But you'll still need the layer states method if you want to be able to set up multiple viewports with the same vp-frozen layers, or if you want to be able to temporarily make modelspace look like that viewport.

• Thanks Anthony. Took me a while but it worked out well. Thanks mate, you're a genius .

• Try the "LayerTools" included in freeware "BcadTools", download from ApplicationCatalog.
    hope it will be helpful :-)

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!