linetypes don't display

Simple 2D drawing - in Paperspace viewport, linetypes don't display - solid line only - though all displays fine in Modelspace.
Color and linewight display fine in both Model and Paperspace.
In Page setup, Display plot styles is checked.
Settings, layer structure etc all copied forward from the previous job, where everything works fine.
RA, RE and closing and re-opening Brics doesn't help.

Comments

• Copied all into a blank dwg and seems to be OK now. But all the work in Paperspace is lost, so not a good solution, tho often suggested.
    I'd still like to know what the problem with the original dwg is.

• Have you tried changing the LTSCALE?
  • ...or the equivalent for paperspace: PSLTSCALE

• No, copying into a blank dwg doesn't fix it - linetype display comes and goes, now gone com[pletely. I have updated display driver.

• Raised an SR? Hard to tell without a sample drawing. perhaps:

• Line work a long way from 0,0?
    • Mixing imperial & metric Linetype definitions. Updating all linetype definitions will fix.
    • Line work has been set to an explicit linetype scale.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• When linetypes display correctly in model space, but not in paperspace you have to switch PSLTSCALE off. Remember to REGEN the display to see the effect.
    When copying all geometry to a new drawing, you need to import the layouts from the source drawing as well.

• right click a layout tab and choose From Template in the context menu
    • browse to the source drawing, then double click or click the Open button.
    • select the layout(s) you want to import.
  • Thank you gents - setting PSLTSCALE to 0 (off) fixes it - it had changed from what I've always had (off).
    But I'd like to understand why, when Help says "In general, PSLTSCALE is best set ON".
    Help also says "MSLTSCALE is best set OFF" - which is also what I've always had (off) - changing that seems to make no difference.

So now, with PSLTSCALE and MSLTSCALE both set off, linetypes display well in both paperspace and modelspace.
    But in modelspace, only if current entities' scale are set to 50. If set to 1, linetypes look continuous in modelspace, though still fine in paperspace.

This is new - in previous projects, CELTSPACE is set to 1 and the same linetypes display fine in both modelspace and paperspace.
    Any suggestions, what may be different from previous? File is attached.

305.dwg 90.8K
  • Louis_Verdonck
    edited June 2018

Dear Tom
    "In general, PSLTSCALE is best set ON". this ensures that linetypes are printed (scaled) equally, regardsless of the scale of the viewport.
    MSLTSCALE is used to scale linetypes according to the current Annotation Scale. If ANNOSCALE = 1 you will not see any difference when toggling MSLTSCALE on/off.
    Regarding the recommended value of CELTSCALE: the linetype definitions in the *.lin files are unitless. However, in default.lin the lengths of the dashes are expressed in inch, in iso.lin in mm. So the value of CELTSCALE should be therelationship between inches or mm and the value of INSUNITS. E.g. if INSUNITS = 5 (cm), CELTSCALE is best set to 0.1.
    The LTSCALE system variable multiplies the value of Linetype Scale property of all entities in the drawing.

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited June 2018

@Tom Foster said:
    But I'd like to understand why, when Help says "In general, PSLTSCALE is best set ON".

I've always used PSLTSCALE=0, ever since they first introduced the concept of paperspace. But that's not easy to do.

For one thing, PSLTSCALE is not a single variable. There's a PSLTSCALE for each Layout, and when you create a new Layout it will always have the diabolical PSLTSCALE=1 setting, even if all the other Layouts in the file have PSLTSCALE=0. To solve that problem, my template file has Layouts set up for each sheet size I use, and I create new Layouts in a file by copying one of those rather than using the "New" option.

For another thing, files you get from other people will generally have PSLTSCALE=1 for all Layouts, because so few people are even aware of this conundrum. And in order to try to get linetypes to display properly at least in paperspace they'll have given a strange value to the LTSCALE variable, or strange Linetype Scale values to each dashed line, or some combination of the two that they've found makes dashed lines look right in paperspace. But usually the dashes won't show in modelspace, and it'll take a lot of work to fix that.

In my drawings, LTSCALE is always 1, except when I want to snap to intersections of normally dashed lines. To that end, I use a custom command that toggles LTSCALE as 1 or 999, i.e. dashes shown or not shown.

The Linetype Scale of a dashed line in my drawings is usually approximately the inverse of the scale of the viewport it's intended to be used in. For example, if the drawing is to be printed at 1:48 scale, the dashed lines in the drawing will have a linetype scale of about 48. That's with linetypes called DASHED, CENTER, and PHANTOM, not CENTER2 or CENTERX2.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!