Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BOM items arranged by subassemblies?

When properly done the BOM works quite well, though custom parameters assigned to parts may not always show up. It compiles a list of all items and sorts it nicely per length etc. but this is for all objects within the final assembly

Is it possible to have the BOM list the items grouped by subassembly?
I haven't been able to find it yet.

E.g. it would look like this:
Assembly items (not within subassemblies)
Subassembly 1 items
Subassembly 2 items
Subsubassembly 2 items
Subassembly 3 items

etc.

I realise you can achieve something similar by creating BOM's in each subassembly drawing and then combine the tables in Excel and paste that back in the final assembly layout but it would be quite useful if it could be done in the final assembly so that the list is generated in one go so that whenever there are updates you don't have to redo the compiling of individual BOM's into a single BOM after every update.

Answers

• edited July 20

This might be difficult to implement:
    What should happen if 'Subassembly 2' occurs twice in the main assembly?
    What if 'Subsubassembly 2' is also used by 'Subassembly 3'?

• RSWRSW
    edited July 22

If 'Subassembly 2' is used twice (as main level subassembly) then in the BOM it will have 2 a quantity number and the constituting parts will be listed beneath it (preferably indented).

If 'Subassembly 2' is part of 'Subassembly 3' then it should be listed under 'Subassembly 3' (again preferably indented) and showing its constituting parts underneath it as described above. A subassembly that is used within another subassembly should be listed hierarchically under the parent subassembly and not listed as part of another instance of that subassembly higher up in the hierarchy.

That way it should to some extent resemble the structure of the overall assembly and one should be able to see the constituting part/assemblies and have an idea of how it is constructed.

E.g
    ITEM Quantity
    Main assembly part 1
    Subassembly 1 (SA1) 1
    SA1 part 1 3
    SA1 part 2 etc. 2
    Subassembly 2 (SA2) 2
    SA1 part 1 (3 times) 6
    SA1 part 2 etc. (2 times) 4
    Subassembly 3 (SA3) 1
    SA3 part 1 1
    SA3 part 2 etc. 5
    Subassembly 2 (SA2) 1
    SA2 part 1 (3 times) 3
    SA2 part 2 etc. (2 times) 2

Because the help file says that Bricscad can detect circular references to subassemblies and will prevent them from occurring I guess that creating such a hierarchical BOM should not be that difficult to implement as it looks like it is assigning unique ID's to each part/component anyway and should therefore be able to follow the hierarchy.

(comment, I spaced out the numbers for the quantity but it seems this is not maintained in the posted version, is this a bug or as designed?)

• edited July 23

OK, I understand. If this is a common approach (I do not know: I am not a 'mech head') it is perhaps already on the Bricsys ToDo list. But sending in a feature request may help.

Alternatively you could try to program something yourself using the BmLispGet Lisp function.

To publish the text with indentations:

1. Insert an empty line above and below the text block.
    2. Select the text block.
    3. Choose 'Code' from the first dropdown menu above the message field.

You cannot have a numbered list directly above a code block (as I just found out).

ITEM                                  Quantity
    Main assembly part                    1
      Subassembly 1 (SA1)                 1
        SA1 part 1                        3
        SA1 part 2 etc.                   2
      Subassembly 2 (SA2)                 2
        SA2 part 1           (3 times)    6
        SA2 part 2 etc.      (2 times)    4
      Subassembly 3 (SA3)                 1
        SA3 part 1                        1
        SA3 part 2 etc.                   5
        Subassembly 2 (SA2)               1