Placing 3D windows and doors in curved walls ?

Hallo,
i have a simple question to ask, i suppose....
How can i place a 3D door or window in a general curved Wall,
obtaining equal distances from the wall surface at both sides of the placed door or wall ?
I have created a wall by extruding a rectangle along a spline....
The same question applies to arc or elliptical walls !
The window has after placement different distances from the vertical surface of the wall, respectivelly 11 and 13 cm.

Some screenshots below for better understanding of my question..
Thanks, Regards
Konstantin

Comments

• I think it is better to use the Polysolid in curve mode to create
    rounded Walls. So additions of different arced Walls for more
    complex forms.
    For me the Windows were properly inserted in Polysolids.
    Just when you try to move them later, they will not adapt their
    angles according to the roundness.

• Hello Michael,
    thanks for your answer.
    I have created two walls using polysolids
    1 by using the option "Arc"
    1 by using the option "Entity" and selecting a Spline
    In both cases comes to the described problem of having different distances on both sides of the windows
    from the external or internal surface of the wall .
    You could try in your system to Biminsert windows or doors by using the test DWG i am posting ...
    I wouls appreciate to hear your results....
    Thanks

• The 'insertion plane' of the window is tangential to the curved face at the insertion point of the component. To get the desired equal distances the insertion point of the window would have to match the middle of the window in plan and the curvature of the curve would have to be constant.

• ^ Sounds reasonable.
    (Not from an architectural standpoint though)
    I have to look again a bit closer.

• And I am not sure if I really used Arc Polysolids.
    Maybe it was from connected 2D Lines/Arcs too.

(As I was not able to BIMCONNECT straight Walls with curved Walls)

• Hello Roy and thanks for your suggestions !

I have used an existing window definition file the Window_1x2.dwg and moved all the geometry so that
    the WCS Point 0,0,0 which is the insertion point of the window is now in the middle of the window and not at the corner !
    I have also created a small circle around this insertion point in the window definition file in order to see what happens
    when the length of the window is changed.....
    I have found that the change of the width happens only on the one side of the insertion point and not symmetrically on both sides of the insertion point ! see screenshot.
    The conclusion is :

1. placing WCS 0,0,0 insertion point at the middle of the window or door solves the problem of having different distances on both sides of the windows from the external or internal surface of the wall and carvature must not be constant,** as soon as you **don't change the width of the door or the window
    2. the asymmetrical change of the width in relation to the insertion point creates again the problem of having different distances on both sides of the windows from the external or internal surface of the wall

So, if there isn't any way to change this non symmetrical parametric change of the width in relation to the insertion point
    then one can only create definition files having the correct dimensions of doors and windows which can then correctly
    inserted in any carvature of the wall.

Propably can Bricsys change this non symmetrical behaviour in the parametrics of doors anw windows

Regard
    Konstantin

1. window
  • Michael Mayer
    edited October 2018

I think that would be possible.
    There is a Video about how to create Windows and the
    way the Constraints are set up.

So by default everything is constrained from the bottom
    right corner but could be constrained in a bit more complicated
    way from another point, like from the center.

• Yes Michael is right. I would also consider nesting a default BIM-window in a custom component. This may simplify the constraints but you will probably have to add a subtractor solid.

• Ok thanks to both of you !
    Michael i would appreciate the Link for the Video you mention...if available...

• https://blog.bricsys.com/creating-windows-in-bricscad-bim/

now the BIM objects doors and windows are created with parameters for width and height ....,
    this is also the normal way you define this objects.
    if you change this settings to a center dependent width,
    then you have to split up the width in 2 directions, and make them related to each other so it will move the width in both directions symmetrically
    then you have 2 parameters to add together to get the real width....

never the less its a very interesting "problem" you are in.
    another problem you will get if you want to change the window parapet and lintel, if you want to have different angles, different to the normal (width) of the wall and different to each other ...

• @Konstantin Sakellaris has tested with walls that curve out (from the interior). There is an additional issue for walls that curve in: the hole in the wall will not be through-and-through.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    @Konstantin Sakellaris has tested with walls that curve out (from the interior). There is an additional issue for walls that curve in: the hole in the wall will not be through-and-through.

Yes , i can confirm this !!!!!

This discussion has been closed.