Fields for "Area" in MText?

Coming from the programming topic here
https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/33686/net-how-to-insert-a-field-into-a-mtext

I have a basic question:
How to define a "field" in MText which contains the sum of areas from 2 objects?
(Descriptions, snapshots, screencasts are welcome)

Comments

• No idea?

• Nobody knows?

• Joe Dunfee
    edited December 2018

Here is one guess to an approach. If the area is defined by a closed polylines, and the two polylines are adjacent, convert the two polylines into a single one. Then you only have one object to show the area. If the two areas are separated, then you might be able to draw a thin connection between the two. Just add two lines separated by perhaps 0.1", so they don't contribute much to the total area. Trim all of them, and join all the lines with the pedit command.

When I use a closed polyline for area, if normally set the linetype to be dot, and its lineweight to be 0. This essentially makes it invisible when printed, but If I keep the linetype scale low enough, i can still see the polyline on my display. Another approach to hiding this object, is to set it to a relatively light color, and its lineweight at 0.

Another approach I would speculate about is using a linked excel spreadsheet in some way. But, I have no idea of it is possible to include those kinds of properties.

-Joe

• Hi Joe

thanks, but I did not mean the fusion of two areas or the modification of the drawing.

I have

• Polyline A with area A
    • Polyline B with area B

And I want to create a MText with a dynamic field which contains a formula like this:
    "Total area: (= area_a + area_b)"

In AutoCAD it can be done; in BricsCAD I could not find a solution.

• fs_at12
    edited December 2018

@Peter2 said:
    Hi Joe

thanks, but I did not mean the fusion of two areas or the modification of the drawing.

I have

• Polyline A with area A
    • Polyline B with area B

And I want to create a MText with a dynamic field which contains a formula like this:
    "Total area: (= area_a + area_b)"

In AutoCAD it can be done; in BricsCAD I could not find a solution.

Hi Peter I asked the support for this functionality on 21-09-2017 13:34 UTC

this was the answer:
    "Currently evaluation of formulas in fields is supported, but they can't be edited.
    We plan improvements for the editing of fields, but so far there are no precise timings for the editing fields with formulas via GUI. An internal task is already created for this and our development team is working on it, depending of priorities.
    I will keep you updated ."

so if you already have a formula = addition then you can edit it, but if there is no formula you can not create it.
    in autocad you create a field(formula) and there you create a field linked to the area properties of an object and make a mathematical function with any other field of an object linked. etc. in bricscad you can not create in a formula field another field linked to another object (properties)....
    more than one year later still no change :-(
    this is still a big problem for me not being able to add subtract or calculate with properties, length , area , volume....

so just a lisp will be helpful

https://forum.bricsys.com/discussion/32906/help-with-sum-2-fields

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited December 2018

@fs_at12:
    The last time I looked (V18) creating fields with formulas is not possible via Lisp either.

• @fs_at12 - thanks
    very helpful information.

• I wonder if it is possible to use AutoCAD to create a block that has some text with a field that already has the sum function in it. Then, just insert that block into BricsCAD, and then explode it. Then, the formula could perhaps be edited. The question is if BricsCAD would permit you to change the field names, and the object it is linked to. I sort of doubt it, but perhaps someone with access to AutoCAD can test the idea out.

-Joe

• @Joe Dunfee said:
    I wonder if it is possible to use AutoCAD to create a block that has some text with a field that already has the sum function in it. Then, just insert that block into BricsCAD, and then explode it. Then, the formula could perhaps be edited. The question is if BricsCAD would permit you to change the field names, and the object it is linked to. I sort of doubt it, but perhaps someone with access to AutoCAD can test the idea out.

if I open a acad file with formulas in bricscad, the functionality is working, but if I edit the field, even if I don't change anything, the formula is not working anymore and i get "----" displayed. so I would say I can not edit the links in bricscad.

@Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    @fs_at12:
    The last time I looked (V18) creating fields with formulas is not possible via Lisp either.

;-(

• Any news on working with formulas in fields?