How to get Text to appear in the printed drawing - Layout View

Hi,
I'm using Bricscad 18.
On some of my 3D parts I need Text that I've added to the Part in certain locations to appear in the printed drawings. (its not extruded text but is used as an assembly aid)
I know I've successfully achieved this in the past by changing the Viewport property to Geometry - 3D in the Layout Tab but this no longer work's for me... any help appreciated..

Comments

• I am on an older version, but do often use text in 3D views.
    All types of text should show up on 3D types of views. But, there are issues that can prevent it from being visible. It might be obscured by an object. Sometimes, if there are two objects on the same plane, one will "win" the fight to be visible. To make such an object visible, I often will move the text so that it is a little away from the surface. It may also be influenced by the sequence it was created. If so, bring it to the front may solve that. Just right-click the text object and one of the menu choices offers that option.

If the text and the surface it is on is the same color, it may be obscured. So, a hidden line removal method is preferred over a shaded one.

I have learned that in a Windows system, printing a shaded object does depend upon the video card. So, if the video card is not successfully rendering the text, it won't print. One way around that is to use the "Legacy Wireframe" rendering style for a viewport.

You said you didn't use extruded text, which can be created by adding a thickness value. If you want to add thickness, It depends on what sort of text object you are using. BricsCAD TEXT (the old one-line type) that uses a plotter font text style (i.e. SHX file) is the only kind of text that can have thickness. You can convert MTEXT to TEXT by exploding it. But, again, the font itself must be a SHX type of font. A True Type font will not work.

-Joe

• Thanks Joe,
    I'd tried the technique of moving the text's elevation to be above the 3D part but no joy there.
    I've solved it somewhat by copying and pasting a viewport (which does have the text visible) from another Layout Tab to the current one - which contains other viewsports of the part...

It's hard to figure out what exactly is the issue - the difference between the viewports is the manner they are created -
    Annotate > Base Views in the case of the "no text" and the other "new layout tab" has an image in situ with text visible by default once you add the tab.

Paul

• I tried the trick of copying viewports on top of each other, to do things like show both an internal component, and the larger outer housing. But, any sort of rendered image will cause one viewport to cover up any below it. "Below it" is defined as an object that is earlier in BricsCAD's internal database of objects, which controls the sequence which BricsCAD draws things to the printer.

-Joe

• The _ViewBase command creates viewports that display 2D geometry derived from solids. Other entities will be invisible. The idea is that you add annotation in paperspace.

• @Roy Klein Gebbinck said:
    The _ViewBase command creates viewports that display 2D geometry derived from solids. Other entities will be invisible. The idea is that you add annotation in paperspace.

If in Layout you change the properties viewport > drawing>geometry > to 3D that has worked for me in the past in enabling the text to be viewed...

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited October 2018

_ViewBase views are quite different from normal PS viewports. The 2D geometry you see is in fact contained in an anonymous block and only that block is visible in the viewport. You are not seeing 3D entities in a _ViewBase view but a projected 2D representation.

This discussion has been closed.