Acquisition of Bricsys by Hexagon

Jim Canale
edited October 2018 in Other

Having seen the development focus of BricsCAD shift almost entirely to BIM the past couple years, I'm expecting Hexagon will abandon sheet metal and mechanical users. And I expect Hexagon to impose licensing terms like Autodesk now uses.(eliminating ownership in favor of costly yearly leases). After all, these mergers always have to be paid for.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• MikeP
    edited October 2018

The Bricsys acquisition appears to be a strategic move by Hexagon to break away from the constraints imposed on them by Autodesk and the lack of developmental support for AutoCAD (the same complaints you hear from most AutoCAD users). Hexagon PPM's CADWorx Plant 3D solution already runs seamlessly on BricsCAD, so this acquisition will provide a base CAD platform that Hexagon can control, develop, and maintain as a direct competitive alternative to AutoCAD. It's difficult to predict what the licensing terms will be moving forward with Hexagon, but I expect the cost for BricsCAD will remain relatively low to help attract a larger share of the AutoCAD market.

• I've been informed by Rick Allen of Hexagon that they will continue to offer perpetual licensing, and support mechanical and sheet metal as well as BIM. So good news! I also acknowledge that there are new sheet metal and mechanical features in the V19 Beta.

• Tom Foster
    edited October 2018

A kinda answer to the 'ditch Mechanical' fear in

at 4:35.

They end by saying 'we're off to the party now' - and wow what a party it was.
    If big corporate was under-aware of Bricsys' incredible family feel, they were right in there with it last night, and can be in no doubt of the dynamism of that asset they've acquired.
    The danger, if any, is that Bricsys is no longer safely quaratined from modern phenomena like 'activist investors' (incl our own pension funds) who can in future buy influence if not control and demand a focus on quarterly maximisation of 'value' at the expense of the softer assets that Bricsys excels in.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!