How did I get here? (conversion of 2D PCB pattern into 3D object

Ever create something, then fail to remember how you did it? I'm pulling my hair trying to figure out how I accomplished something, so I can do it again! Hoping someone can figure it out for me.

I'm trying to create an accurate 3D model of one of our 2 layer PCB assemblies. Step one is to make a 3D model of the G10 board, including the top and bottom copper layers (each .0014" thick), so I can place the 3D components on the copper. The engineer who designed the PCB (with an application called PC Trace) exported the copper layers as a *.DXF. I took one of them (the dark blue layer representing the solder side of the board), and simplified it from a bunch of polylines and pads to a much simpler set of closed polylines. HOW?? I was then able to select all the closed polylines and extrude them into a solid .0014" thick (gold color).

My problem is I now have to do the same for the top layer, and I cannot remember the sequence of steps I took to do the bottom layer. So here is a drawing containing the original bottom layer (blue), and the 3D object I created. I have tried everything imaginable to do this a second time, and continue to fail.

Comments

• No one has an idea how to combine all the polylines and pads?

• I would run Lee Mac's polyline outline routine in multi mode and instruct it to delete the original polylines, Explode the results then trim and erase as required to get to just boundaries. PEDIT to join the boundaries.

• Thanks. But I already tried the polyline outline routine. What's frustrating is I created the gold colored object quite easily with the tools right in BricsCAD, but I can't seem to backtrack and do it again.

• A simple and fast approach is to

1. use FLATSHOT on this drawing and insert the result as a block
    2. EXPLODE the block
    3. select all content and JOIN it
    4. select the joined content and DMEXTRUDE it to the desired height
    5. Three 'islands' will have become undesirably filled. Make sure boundary detection is On (controlled by SELECTIONMODES bitflag 3), hover over an undesirably filled area and use the DmExtrude tool from the Quad to cut it away. Repeat for the two others.

That's it. Writing it down takes longer than actually doing it...

• I couldn't get there without Lee Mac. I used the AdvancedPolyOutlineV1-1.lsp multi-select to get the outlines and then brute forced it from there. Just did a select all and extrude .0014, then union all and cleanup.

• Thanks Han. I will try that.

• Richard, I gave the LISP file another try and you are right. It does work. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.