V 2019 features?

I came across a 3rd party list of new things in 2019, but I could not find an official Bricsys one. So, I don't know if the features listed by the blogger are complete.

https://rakeshrao.typepad.com/work_smarter_geotools/2018/10/whats-new-for-developers-in-bricscad-v19.html

Personally, I am most interested in the ability to create Dynamic Blocks, or perhaps some alternate approach that has similar functionality. But, the above link does not mention this at all. So, it appears this is not in the new release.

-Joe

Comments

• So far for me v19 sounds like a really, really interesting Update !

• Hi Joe, a new BEDIT block editor was announced at the conference, but it does not provide anything new in regard to creating dynamic blocks. I believe dynamic blocks are a dead end, and you should focus on using parametrics + 2d/3d constraints instead to achieve the same end.

• I am OK with an alternative to the AutoCAD style of dynamic block. I even wrote my own version that used a spreadsheet to feed a script to BricsCAD. But, for anything but a very simple shape, it is not practical.

I found that with the 2d constraints (at least on my v14) , that I needed to put the dimensional constraints on its own layer, so that I could hide them. The other issue was that I didn't have a way to store all the parameters for each model that I needed. Ideally, I would have a block of a Kramer Model #1234 evaporator, and be able to change it into a Model 1239 evaporator. If I used parametrics, the general process was, insert the basic block, explode it, change the various parameters after looking up the dimensions for each model, and then create a new block of the object. Then, copy the new block into each instance I wanted to change, while deleting the old version.

How does BEDIT work in regards to using it in a situation like where you might use Dyanamic Blocks?

-Joe

What is BEDIT, and how might it be useful

• The BricsCAD approach in the scenario you described is to automate the process of parametrifying an existing dumb block (or any lump of geometry, no matter whether you created it or imported it from somewhere else). So, you should be able to open your Model 1234 evaporator in BricsCAD, parametrify it, save it to your components folder (new in V19), then insert it just like you would insert a dynamic block (well, inserting real parametric hardware has a slightly different UI for the parameters, but the basic process is the same). I don't know just how easy this is to do in V18 because it's not my area of expertise and I haven't played around with parametrics recently, but I do know that this process will get easier and more automated in V19, and I have no doubt that it will become easier yet in V20 and beyond.

• I found the place that the blogger mentions the BEDIT command. I can't seem to find where he gives his name. Though, perhaps it is the 1st word in the web address.
    https://rakeshrao.typepad.com/work_smarter_geotools/

What he describes is simply the ability to edit a block inside a temporary drawing environment. If I were to edit a block with constraints, it would change all instances of that block. So, I can't simply have a block called "evaporator", and change one instance to be a different model number. I guess I will have to wait until 2020?

-Joe

• @Joe Dunfee - sounds like the BSAVEAS command in AutoCAD.

• The new parameterize feature in V19 looked really good, it automatically sets all the parameters (3D), but only hands on use will show how easy it is to use over multiple instances. But my experience of dynamic blocks in Autocad led me away from using them too much, anything beyond very simple dynamics just finished up with a drawing that was unworkable,

• For my own potential use of Dynamic Blocks, I would mostly use the stretch, mirror, dynamic array, and table data features. I think the DBlock stretch command is what makes it easy to use a drawing that gets resized, without having to create a complex set of constraints that often fail.

I realize that many of the parametric features that you use while defining an AutoCAD DBlock are already in BricsCAD. But, a very important part is when you insert a DBlock, and edit its values, the results are inserted like a new block, with parameters being readable as attributes. Trying to do something like that in BricsCAD is extremely cumbersome, to the point that I just don't use parametric blocks. Rather, I use this process...

1) Open a file containing the block.
    2) Change the drawing by stretching it to the size I need. With sliding doors, I just do it with minimal effort. But, with Evaporators, I must first look up the dimensions in a catalog, and edit an array of fans.
    3) Save it as a new drawing.
    4) Insert that new block into the main drawing.

-Joe

• Were there any News about Shape ?
    Updates or Changes ?

As I thought I read a Heidi's Blog mentioning Shape as one of the main
    topics for the 2018 conference, which made me wonder a bit at that time.
    And so far I haven't read anything about Shape.

• No change I think except for the Quickdraw thing, which is also in Bricscad BIM. Oh and the improved T- and L-Connection tools ditto. Maybe other things from BricsCad i.e. nothing distinctively Shape.

• Seems like v19 solves A LOT of issues I have with Bricscad.
    Either I switch to Windows soon or have to wait another 3-4 months.

• @Owen Wengerd said:
    Hi Joe, a new BEDIT block editor was announced at the conference, but it does not provide anything new in regard to creating dynamic blocks. I believe dynamic blocks are a dead end, and you should focus on using parametrics + 2d/3d constraints instead to achieve the same end.

How do I get a parametrically constrained component into use for a group of users??

This discussion has been closed.