AutoCAD compatibility

Hello and thank you in advance for your replies. I am interested in freelancing using Bricscad (via email not cloud) and would like to here from others doing the same. My concern is that my clients using AutoCAD could run into issues opening/displaying drawings edited in Bricscad to the point of being annoyed in having to employ some kind of work-around and thus not wanting to use my services. Is this a problem you've run into and if so is there something I can do on my end to mitigate this? Thanks again everyone.

Comments

• Anthony Apostolaros
    edited November 2018

The main problem will be that when they open your files in Autocad it'll try to scare them by saying that the file was saved by a non-Autodesk app. I don't think there's anything you can do about that.

If they can get past that, there shouldn't be any problem with them using your files and vice versa. The only problem I've ever seen is when I work on a gnarly old file that an Autocad user sent me, i.e. something originally created in a very old version and then Saved As hundreds of times over the years, and full of resources accumulated along the way, and with proxy objects created by Autodesk's add-on programs. When that happens, I sometimes have to use Recover to open the file, but I'm always able to do so. Then I purge all that old stuff, and in very rare cases that process has resulted in me returning to them a file that they can't immediately open.

Bricsys is extremely concerned about compatibility. If you ever have a problem with it, file a support request, attaching the problem file, and they'll quickly help you.

• Hello Anthony,
    Thanks alot for taking the time to write your response. I read about the AutoCAD warning popup and wondered what a client would think about that but perhaps a preemptive heads-up and an explanation would nip any of their concerns in the bud. Also nice to hear again that the support for Bricscad is decent. If you don't mind me asking, do you ever run into clients that flat out don't want to work with you because you're using software that they've iether not heard of, or simply because it's not AutoCAD? If so, what's your strategy for dealing with this situation? Thanks again Anthony. Cheers!
  • I've never seen any resistance. When you tell them what you're using, they may ask about compatibility and whether it's going to cause them any problems. Just tell them it's fully compatible and they won't even notice it except for Autocad's nag screen (which Autocad users can choose not to see). And guarantee that in the unlikely event of problems arising you'll take care of it with the help of Bricsys' excellent support.

• I'm familiar with the "not developed or licensed by AutoDesk" warning.
    (I don't know if it still exists in current releases.)
    I collaborate constantly with colleagues / clients exclusively using AutoCAD.
    I've never received comments from any of them with compatibility concerns.
    Regarding the warning message: Just instruct them to set DWGCHECK variable to zero...no more warnings.

• Hello Robt and Anthony. Ok, good to know. Thanks for all of your input. I bet if anything you've piqued your clients interest in Bricscad especially when they learn of the price point and the perpetual license. Again thanks for taking the time. This forum has been very helpful already. Very much appreciated!
  • @Robt Deans said:
    Regarding the warning message: Just instruct them to set DWGCHECK variable to zero...no more warnings.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

• I recall when I first read about Autodesk putting that warning up. rather than cause me to be think the 3rd-party DWG file may cause problems, it caused me to think (more) poorly about Autodesk. It felt like Autodesk was engaging in some sort of name calling, by saying their drawings created by their products are "real" and the people using other software are using some sort of illicit software.

-Joe

• You're exactly right @Joe Dunfee
    I am okay with the status bar icon, but to make the default showing the user a modal dialog is a bit too much IMO.

Steve Johnson put it best, way back in 2006.

"AutoCAD's definition of what is Trusted and what is not is somewhat arbitrary. A messed-up drawing that will cause you no end of problems may be Trusted, while a perfectly clean one may be Untrusted. As a result, the feature in its current state is of very limited use. Rather than engaging in what looks suspiciously like a marketing exercise, I would prefer Autodesk put its efforts into utilities for diagnosing and repairing problem drawings, well beyond the current capabilities of Audit and Recover."

Ref: http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/autocad/bug-watch-opening-trusted-drawings-5897

• Well, after over a year working on BC and collaborating with other Acad users - there has been a few issues:
    with mLeaders created in Autocad and not properly opened in BC & vice versa (annoying one).
    The second one - hatches - in Autocad some created in BC caused issues.
    What is more we had problems with binding some of dwgs in BC, had to do that in ACAD.
    and forget about dynamic blocks in BC, that one could be troublesome (for yourself). Cannot even be exploded in BC.

Apart from that BC is very efficient, runs faster and is ... cheaper. So no worries.

• I have a few major problems with Bricscad to Autocad compatibility. I have downloaded V19 but not installed it yet so I have no idea if either of these two issues has been resolved. One, Bricscad seems to break the relative path links to drawings in a sheet set, that is when you open autocad on a different machine with different drives the drawings are all missing. I work from home so this is a major problem for me as I am not working on my clients servers. The second is that when going from autocad to bricscad, the viewports all reassign gibberish scales and so I lose annotative text.
    Which means I still need autocad to print or I have to go an correct them if someone else works on them, or if I work from another location on my laptop. I posted on the forum about the first issue and no one replied but haven't had much chance to look into the second issue yet to see if other people have encountered it or have a resolution
    Ruth

This discussion has been closed.