Edit Dynamic Block

Hi,

attached you find a dynamic block (I want a dynamic block as section line).

However, I dont like this section line so I want to adapt it. But, REFEDIT does not work. Anybody an idea how to change a dynamic block?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi,

Cannot be done due to Autodesk patents and legal issues.

Cheers,

• RSW
    RSW
    edited November 2018

If you don't have to keep it as an AutoCAD dynamic block you could explode it and then generate a parametric block in Bricscad to achieve the same effect adjusted to how you want it to be.
    On the Bricsys blog there are two articles by Heidi Hewett showing you how to create such parametric blocks if you don't know how to do this.
    Part 1 (with a link to part 2 at the bottom of the article):
    https://blog.bricsys.com/2d-parametric-blocks-1/

• @RSW said:
    If you don't have to keep it as an AutoCAD dynamic block you could explode it and then generate a parametric block in Bricscad to achieve the same effect adjusted to how you want it to be.

..... )

[ mumbles to self ]
    I wonder if that's worth automating ?

where's my to-do list ??

• I also think that it should be possible to automate the process.

The problem with just creating a drawing using parametrics, and then inserting it into BricsCAD, is that there is only one definition for that block. If you edit it as a block, then all instances of the block will change. There needs to be a process to open the parametric drawing, and then insert it with perhaps a set of attributes that describe the dimensions and/or part# chosen.

I have created a spreadsheet in Excel, and it has a VBA utility that will open a new drawing, take a series of BricsCAD commands placed in Excel cells to draw an object. Then, it will convert it to a block and insert into the drawing you were working on when you started the process. However, creating that script in Excel is a lot of work. I only needed a simple rectangle with a few minor add-ons, and a text label of the part#. It would not be a viable approach for most things.

There used to be 3rd party software applications for AutoCAD v12, that gave the user the ability to create a parametric drawing, and the user could insert a part with this software. After entering the proper information, the block would come in with its own name. This was long before dynamic blocks were a twinkle in Autodesk's eye.

-Joe

• @Joe Dunfee said:
    I also think that it should be possible to automate the process.

The problem with just creating a drawing using parametrics, and then inserting it into BricsCAD, is that there is only one definition for that block. If you edit it as a block, then all instances of the block will change. There needs to be a process to open the parametric drawing, and then insert it with perhaps a set of attributes that describe the dimensions and/or part# chosen.

It is possible to edit the parameters in the drawing after insertion, however when doing an update of an assembly it may happen that the inserted parts will revert back to their default value. I've run into this issue when I started using parameters and assemblies. It could be due to user error though when creating the parametric objects.

Any updates to the geometry of the block should propagate to all inserted instances, as that is how blocks are supposed to work. The parametric values however should remain unchanged for already inserted blocks unless specified otherwise. I haven't got to testing yet in V19 if the abovementioned issue of the parametric values resetting to the default still happens.

One thing that should be solved is when using arrays of parametric items, those should now remain parametric instead of becoming "dumb" 3D solids etc.

• I am not sure if you understood what I posted, or perhaps I misunderstood you. So, here is an example; An architectural drawing needs 4 doors in the drawing, with some of them at 30" wide, and others are 33" wide.

With DBlocks, you can use just one block definition, but have each individual instance of the door block a different size. In BricsCAD, because you cannot create DBlocks, it has been suggested that I use parametric drawings. Suppose I start with all the doors being 30" wide. But, if I want one of the doors to be 33" Wide, and if the parametric drawing is in a block, editing one of the doors to be 33", will cause all door blocks to become 33" wide.

I know I can explode each door block as I insert it, and then I am free to edit each block individually, without affecting the others. But, that destroys the benefits of blocks that can be automatically counted to create a BOM.

-Joe

• @Joe Dunfee said:
    I am not sure if you understood what I posted, or perhaps I misunderstood you. So, here is an example; An architectural drawing needs 4 doors in the drawing, with some of them at 30" wide, and others are 33" wide.

With DBlocks, you can use just one block definition, but have each individual instance of the door block a different size. In BricsCAD, because you cannot create DBlocks, it has been suggested that I use parametric drawings. Suppose I start with all the doors being 30" wide. But, if I want one of the doors to be 33" Wide, and if the parametric drawing is in a block, editing one of the doors to be 33", will cause all door blocks to become 33" wide.

I know I can explode each door block as I insert it, and then I am free to edit each block individually, without affecting the others. But, that destroys the benefits of blocks that can be automatically counted to create a BOM.

-Joe

This limitations haven't been the case for the last few versions of BricsCAD. Attach a sample model with a Flanges & Elbows on it. They are of different sizes but are derived from the same parametric block definition. You can select them, then change their size from a dropdown on the Property bar. Opening the mechanical browser you can see that the blocks contain both 2D & 3D definitions which you can toggle the display of, all parametric. Once you have the concept down they IMHO easier to create than a dynamic block. In V19 there is a new PARAMETRIZE command that will automate the process of creating parameters.

To create these blocks you need BricsCAD Platinum. Once available in a drawing you can manipulate using BricsCAD Pro.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• I just tried that "TestModel.dwg" file, in GStarCAD, which I am testing out right now. However, when I insert that drawing and then explode it, the individual gaskets do not have anything I can do with them. They only have the normal properties that any block has. GStarCAD does not seem to permit editing them either, though I am not really familiar enough with GStarCAD to really be confident that I am trying to edit them correctly.

I can open your TestModel.dwg file in my v14 BricsCAD, but they are annimous blocks that cannot be edited.

What sort of object will the current version of AutoCAD itself report them as? Will they be editable the same way as in BricsCAD?

-Joe

• @Joe Dunfee said:
    What sort of object will the current version of AutoCAD itself report them as? Will they be editable the same way as in BricsCAD?
    -Joe

These objects can only be created (Platinum min.) and manipulated (Pro min.) using BricsCAD V18 or greater. This is when the ability to assign design tables & parametric arrays became a possibility. Earlier versions of BricsCAD will display but won't be fully functional.

In any other application (AutoCAD, Gstar ...) they will be represented as a simple block, anonymous if its been modified from the original definition.

Regards,
    Jason Bourhill
    CAD Concepts

• Thank you all for your postings. I just downloaded BricsCAD v19 to test out the parametric blocks. I hadn't realized how well those parametric blocks are functioning.

I remain concerned about how non-BricsCAD programs can see the information about these parametric blocks. But, I imagine there is a solution. In AutoCAD you add attributes that you link to fields, which includes the named dimensions. I am guessing it may also permit the table information, such as a part#.

Are there any example BricsCAD parametric Blocks that have attributes that AutoCAD can read?

-Joe

This discussion has been closed.