Xref layers won't go away

Hi,

I had BMInserted referenced drawings. I have deleted layers the references were on. But, the layers associated with these external references won't go away. I tried PURGE All. No luck. Any suggestions?
"LayerClogged.dwg"

Comments

• Eric Ratliff
    edited December 2018

Deleting the external references individually first seems to get rid of the 'reference' layers.

• Roy Klein Gebbinck
    edited December 2018

This is caused by the VISRETAIN setting. Change that setting to OFF, save and reopen the dwg, and those layers will no longer be there.

• Thanks Roy,

This worked. After re-opening the saved drawing, the only layer is 0.

Searching on VISRETAIN in settings shows: Drawing/References/Visibility retain.
    Off, the layer table, as stored in the reference drawing (xref) takes precedence
    On, the Xref-dependent layer changes made in the current drawing take precedence.

From the explanation in Settings, I would have guessed On would get rid of these ghost layers. But as you say, off works.

Saving and re-opening was also important. Just changing the variable did not get rid of the layers. Not even with purge.

• I noticed if you have any layer other than Layer 0 in your XREF component drawing, that layer will appear in the layer list for the assembly. They will not be purgable. It doesn't matter if the unused layers in the component drawing are even turned on. I found that deleting the unused layers in the component file and then updating got rid of the bogus layers.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Click one of the buttons on the top bar to get involved!