Line tangent to 2 arcs or circles (solved)

Ben Jedrej
edited February 2019 in 2D Drafting

Hi, I'd like to draw a line or polyline tangential to 2 existing arcs or circles. I am sure I used to be able to do this by TAN (for tangent snap) in the command line after the line or polyline command. BricsCAD would then defer the point on the first arc or circle until the second arc or circle was selected. Now it no longer seems to work. Any help or was I imagining it?

Sorry. i appear to have solved it. Works for lines but no polylines.

Comments

• Correct, this is 'as designed', as in AutoCAD. If you want a polyline tangent to two circles, first draw a line, then use the PEDIT command to convert the line into a polyline.

• But surely that is a shortfall in Autocad, one that Bricscad could fix, there is no need to copy Autocad behaviour if it is plainly in "error". What is the use of an "As Designed" polyline that ignores the first request to snap to a tangent.

• @Steven_g
    Given the options of the _polyline command, your request may not be as straightforward as you think. What if the first segment is curved?

• That actually adds to the mystery. Why is it not possible to draw an arc or a pline arc segment tangent to two circles, when one of the standard modes of drawing a circle is T = Tangent to two other circles or arcs?

My personal feeling is that all Autocad behavior is in error at least in some way, but I understand the need to follow it. Autocad users are not a tolerant people. Fortunately, Bricscad has a great lisp facility that allows us to correct most of those errors.

• Not a request, just a comment, starting the pline command accepts the "tan" overide it also shows the correct symbol, it then promptly refuses to use it and snaps to "quadrant". I just find it difficult to accept that "As Designed" because I personally see no logic in it.